Author Topic: FlexRAID in Cruise Control  (Read 20738 times)

Offline dasmarx

• View Profile
Re: FlexRAID in Cruise Control
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2011, 12:28:49 pm »
I am using folder mounts, that is why i asked in the first place  ;)

Offline Barrbarr

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2011, 10:02:36 am »
@dasmarx

Once FlexRAID takes ownership of a drive, its drive letter is released.
FlexRAID allows you to give each of your managed drives a unique name.

So, if you have more drives than drive letters it still won't be an issue. You will simply be adding them in batches and initialize the RAID only when all drives have been added.
I could easily add the ability to manage folder mounted drives, but I wanted to keep things simple.

[Edit] I have now made changes whereas users will be able to add folder mounted drives to be managed.
This should simplify things for users that already have their drives mounted to folders instead of drive letters.

Just wanted to upgrade to Public Beta 2.0, and I encoutered an issue while trying to setup the storage pool in cruise control mode:
All my storage drives are mounted as NTFS-folders (e.g. Harddrive 1 -> 'C:\flexraid\disc1') and they are all listed under 'Drive State: Unsupported [System]' - Is there some kind of workaround or do I have to reassign all drive letters?

Edit: Assignment of a drive, which has both a drive letter and a NTFS-folder mount fails with an error message (Something like: Unable to remove mount point)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 10:12:51 am by Barrbarr »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2011, 11:47:05 am »
Hum... interesting. It normally tries to unmount all previous mount points whether it be drive letter or folder mount.
It might be the case that something locked the drive.
Try removing the folder mount point and try again.

Offline fishyfish

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2011, 01:01:13 pm »
I can confirm I am seeing this issue too (Server 2008 R2).

Unmounting (and hitting refresh in Cruise Control Disk Manager) made them disappear, but remounting under a folder just made them show up under "Unsupported [System]" again.

As a workaround for now, I have just removed the folder mount points and assigned drive letters (bleh!).

EDIT:

Sorry, just being daft in asking about UoR spanning... should have, you know, actually added a first unit and then I would have seen the 'span' option show up  ::)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 01:03:47 pm by fishyfish »

Offline Barrbarr

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2011, 01:13:58 pm »
Hum... interesting. It normally tries to unmount all previous mount points whether it be drive letter or folder mount.
It might be the case that something locked the drive.
Try removing the folder mount point and try again.

Yep, removing the folder NTFS mount manually works - thanks! Cruise control is working fine so far and looks really nice ;-). As soon as I got more time at hand (read: when I finished my Bachelor's thesis) I will continue to revise the German translation.

Edit:
I can confirm I am seeing this issue too (Server 2008 R2).

I am also using Windows Server 2008R2 (SP1, Enterprise), maybe it's a special Windows Server issue?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 01:24:37 pm by Barrbarr »

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2011, 01:36:48 pm »
Well in my SBS2011, drive letters unmount fine. Haven't tried with folder mount point.
---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.

Offline dasmarx

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2011, 03:16:46 pm »
windows server 2008 r2 with hyper-v enabled and had drives in ntfs folders. everything worked fine here.

Offline rr17302

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2011, 10:38:45 am »
I'm new to FlexRAID so maybe this is an easy fix. I installed on a fresh WHS2011 machine. I have 3x2TG drives (F:, G:, H:) that are empty (used for FlexRAID), 1x250GB drive partitioned into WHS system (C:) and data (D:) drives, and a 1.5TB drive (E:) that I have media files on.

I used Cruise Control to install (2.0Public Beta 11r2) and everything went fine except the default Storage Pool drive letter is V:.  I had already mapped drive V: to a media server video shared folder on my network.  I have an existing WHS v1 machine that I use as my whole-house file and media server for my networked PCs and media players (Xbox360, WDC Live boxes).  The VIDEO folder is mapped to V: on all my connected devices (including misc. programs on the PCs).  Since FlexRAID Cruise control installed the storage pool as drive V:, I have conflicts if I try to replace my WHS v1 server with the newer WHS 2011 box.  I tried changing the drive letter in Cruise Control -- Prefs & Settings; Storage Pool Merge Mode; Drive Letter to "K:" -- but the pool still shows up as V: after rebooting.  I tried changing the drive letter assignment in WHS Disk Management and it worked until I rebooted and now I am back to the FlexRAID storage pool assigned drive V:.

Any idea why neither process to change the storage pool assigned drive letter away from V: doesn't "stick?"  Any suggestions?  I really don't want to go around my network and try to find and change all the places I've pointed to the V: drive for videos (I've had things set this way for a long time).  Thanks.

Ron

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2012, 02:26:13 pm »
No it certainly "sticks". Are you sure you are doing it... right?

(I use Q: which I have manually set)

---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.

Offline rr17302

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2012, 05:23:28 pm »
NLS, I believe I did it right.  I followed the instructions from the Beginner's Guide for "Creating your first FlexRAID configuration"  (http://www.flexraid.com/2011/12/03/getting-started-creating-your-first-flexraid-configuration/) all the way to the end (I ran WHS2011 via Remote terminal Connection and just swapped between the guide and WHS for each step).  Near the end of the guide, one of the last steps was "... you can also look to the Storage Pool Merge Configuration, which allows to change the letter that the pool is mounted to..." where I tried new letters of F: then X: then K: but none would "stick".  I'm waiting on a new drive from NewEgg and intend to reinstall WHS2011 (I don't like the default "SERVER" name and it can't be changed after install).  That will give me a chance to try installing FlexRAID from scratch and I'll install it before I map any network drives.  Ron

Offline haxxorboi

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2012, 07:14:52 pm »
Not sure if this helps, but I changed my array from V: to D: successfully AFAIK. I changed it under my created array in the UI (I just called it FlexRAID)>Preferences and Settings>Storage Pool Merge Configuration>Drive Letter. I simply deleted V and put D. Do make sure you click Save, I forgot and it didn't stay. Also, the effect was not immediate and required a full reboot before it properly displayed the array as D.

HTH

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2012, 07:47:56 am »
Exactly.
---
NLS

Offline deadman

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2012, 02:58:27 am »
Excuse me if this has already been asked. I have read through the cruise control tutorial but it is for new builds. I have been updating FlexRAID continuously since 1.4(?) and am now about to install 2.0 beta 13. I would like to convert it to cruise control but was wondering if I have to rebuild parity all over again or can I just go ahead and add the drives to the pool? Is there anything specific I need to do to seamlessly convert it over?

EDIT: I just tried creating a cruise control pool and got as far as creating the ying & yang icon but when I click on it it gives me a blank window. Any ideas?
EDIT2: Now after rebooting I also get a popup in Firefox stating "com.google.gwt.user.client.rpc.statuscodeexception" and "500 The call failed on the server; see server log for details"

EDIT3: OK I uninstalled FlexRAID and installed again instead of over the top of the existing install and now the icon for cruise control works. I am able to add my DRU and PPU drives to the cruise control fine but if I initialize it will it wipe out the existing parity drive data or re-use it? I was really hoping it would allow me to re-use the old parity data without having to rebuild from scratch. I have removed the cruise control configuration for now until someone can verify this for me.

EDIT4: Now my old configuration does not work anymore. I get an error "Invalid state: not enough usable space for parity! Space need: 4048256090" :(

There should be room on the parity drive? It never had problems before. I have 1x2TB drive for parity. 2x1TB in a spanned DRU and the 4 other DRU's are 2TB each. Am I going to have to recreate everything from scratch now using cruise control???

EDIT5: I gave up and removed the old config file and have started from scratch. Might take some time (I hope my drives don't fail creating it). Creating the parity for the first time is always the riskiest period as it thrashes all of the drives and there is no backup to fall back on. :/

EDIT6: OK I have everything up and running. However I had 2 oddities. 1. When I started the storage pool I got a popup from AVG about blocking WOW64 something or other in the temp folder. I allowed because I believed it was obviously something needed for FlexRAID to work. Can you confirm anything on that? I could not find anything in AVG's history concerning it though. 2. I got a popup in the browser saying to disable the recycle bin on V. I don't know how to do that though.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 01:45:35 pm by deadman »