Author Topic: Expert Mode Snapshot and Pooled RAID  (Read 1912 times)

Offline 454redhawk

• View Profile
Expert Mode Snapshot and Pooled RAID
« on: February 01, 2012, 06:04:25 pm »
Dumb question and I cant get a straight answer searching.
No one seems to mention a pooled expert mode raid configuration.

Debian Squeeze
I tried many times to use "Cruise Control" snapshot but was plagued with troubles. 4 DRU and 1 PPU config. Drive 1 would frequently come up missing. Drives would not show up at all. Something or other exceptions all the time.

As a last ditch effort I resorted to just a pooled configuration and that worked fine. Then I figured I would give the expert snapshot a try. Well it seemed to work fine but I couldnt figure out how to have it mounted in a pooled configuration like cruise control. I eventually said what the heck and created a pool in addition to the snapshot. That seems to be working. So....my question is.

Is this the correct way to have a pooled snapshot raid in expert mode? Two configurations?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 06:06:30 pm by 454redhawk »

Offline naeonline

• View Profile
Re: Expert Mode Snapshot and Pooled RAID
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 11:30:45 pm »
Yes, snapshot raid is only for parity protection, it does not pool anything.  What you did is correct by creating both.

Offline 454redhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 12:50:58 am »
Yes, snapshot raid is only for parity protection, it does not pool anything.  What you did is correct by creating both.

Cool Thanks

Offline NEOhidra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 11:59:02 am »
That is exactly what i was searching for - how to make a snapshot raid of a storage pool in expert mode. So in short i have to create two configurations:
  • one for the storage pool itself
  • one for the snapshot raid configuration

And here i have a question: how exactly to configure the snapshot when it comes to DRU assignment in "Data configuration"?
In this window i have to drag the mounted NTFS folders (or the partitions), which i used to create a storage pool, to the right and assign them a DRU number. Should i fallow some logic when assigning the mounted NTFS folder to a DRU group (1, 2, etc) or it is completly arbitrrary? For example if i have 4 mounted NTFS folders should i devided them between two DRUs (DRU1 and DRU2) or i can put 3 NTFS folders into DRU1 and one NTFS folder into DRU2.

I may have it all wrong so please correct me!

Offline b-earl

• View Profile
Sv: Expert Mode Snapshot and Pooled RAID
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 12:01:54 pm »
Hi,
You can put as many folders or drives in a DRU as you want, the dru size should only be smaller than the ppu.
Server HW: Chenbro RM41416 case | Supermicro X11SCZ-F + LSI SAS 9305-16i | i3-8300 | 16 GB DDR4 ECC Ram
Server OS:   Windows Server 2016 (UEFI) on  250 GB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 ssd
tRAID 1.1.0 2017.02.11
Backupserver: Supermicro X10SLM-F UEFI + LSI SAS9211-8i IT FW
Server OS: Win 2016 + tRAID

Offline NEOhidra

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 12:37:41 pm »
Thank you for reminding me b-earl! I forgot about the file size - was wondering just how distribute the folders.