Author Topic: Flexraid Question  (Read 17034 times)

Offline asian

• View Profile
Flexraid Question
« on: March 14, 2016, 01:45:56 am »
So i wanted to ask some question is Flexraid still going strong is the production still happening i dont see any new updates . So what is happening....

Offline wdeydwondrer

• View Profile
Re: Flexraid Question
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 02:18:58 pm »
Really good question.  Over the past 2 years the development has seemed to basically come to a stop with a couple releases scattered in there.  I own a key but wish now that I had looked around better at the alternatives.

Is flexraid dead, probably not.  Is it anywhere near as active as it has been in the past, no.

Offline asian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 11:20:32 am »
Well then it is time too look elsewhere maybe unraid it looks like they are still in development.

The problem is i have come to enjoy flexraid ..

Offline conundrum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 01:16:52 am »
I made the switch to DrivePool + SnapRaid this past weekend. Really liking it. I'm running it on Windows Server 2012. My Mac client had SO many file permission errors with FlexRaid. So far so good with DrivePool.

Looked at Unraid, but I didn't like the thought of a proprietary file system. SnapRaid works like FlexRaid in that you can add existing Windows hard drives to the array. No need to reformat. SnapRaid also has a better verification system to help catch corrupted files. It's actively being developed with version 10 just released. The forum is small, but VERY helpful. I posted 2 questions during my setup and had an answer within a day. And it is all donation-ware.

So I'd definitely recommend taking a look SnapRaid and see if it might work for you.

Offline Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 12:31:19 am »
Snapraid looks interesting. Is there any good GUI for it ?

Offline conundrum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 04:01:32 am »
The developer himself is not making a GUI. But, a separate developer has made one.

https://elucidate.codeplex.com/

It lets you add DRU and PPU drives by clicking and dragging.

It looks a bit primitive, but there really doesn't seem to be many setting and commands to use SnapRaid. The real interface with SnapRaid is the command line terminal. Once you hit "Sync" all the status updating is done with the command line window. The nice thing with that is that it is continuously showing what it is working on. Not generic 5%, 6%, 7%, etc. numbers.

Here is a setup guide with screenshots if you'd like to see how it all works.

http://assassinhtpcblog.com/server-snapraid/

There are a number of beginner/setup questions and threads at the SnapRaid forum that can answer the more technical questions.

Offline Albert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 01:03:47 pm »
thanks for the answer

Offline candre23

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 08:28:22 am »
Is flexraid dead, probably not.

It's looking more and more like it is dead.  Brahim hasn't posted anything to the forum in more than two months.  I sent an email asking about paid support, and got no response.  Barring a triumphant return, it's safe to assume that there will be no further updates or support for Flexraid.

Offline wdeydwondrer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 06:50:38 pm »
Well, he said he's back in a sticky, but I'm not sure what he's working on :/

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 08:50:29 am »
Well, he said he's back in a sticky, but I'm not sure what he's working on :/
Work requires going quiet sometimes. Some will understand, others won't. In the end, it is pointless to stress over it. ;)