Author Topic: Restore Failed  (Read 902 times)

Offline A88337CDBC00C3A2

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 12
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Restore Failed
« on: December 20, 2014, 12:24:48 am »
Hello, I have DRU's that are 2TB in size. Some DRU's are 1x 2TB HDD and some DRU's are 2x 1TB HDD's. My OS is Server 2008 R2 x64 and my FlexRAID version is 2.0u12 final.
I had 1x 1TB HDD die on me so I am replacing it with 1x 2TB. My intention was to restore the DRU to the new drive and pull the leftover 1x TB out of the RAID and the server. I installed the new HDD and assigned it the same drive letter as the failed disk. I then went to try and restore my DRU and I used the option box to define the drive letter, example: H:\. Well the restore failed almost immediately and this is what the logs contain. I don't really know what it means, I can't make much sense of it. Am I up a creek?

Code: [Select]
[2014-12-19 23:06:49,719] INFO : Executing restore...
[2014-12-19 23:06:49,719] INFO : [restore] started at: Fri Dec 19 23:06:49 MST 2014
[2014-12-19 23:06:55,298] ERROR: [restore] error: ZipException[invalid block type]
java.util.zip.ZipException: invalid block type
at java.util.zip.InflaterInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.readBytes(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.implRead(Unknown Source)
at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.read(Unknown Source)
at java.io.InputStreamReader.read(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedReader.fill(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(Unknown Source)
at com.tchegbe.lib.io.a.g.c.a(Unknown Source)
at com.tchegbe.lib.io.a.e.v.a(Unknown Source)
at com.tchegbe.lib.io.a.e.c.a.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
[2014-12-19 23:06:55,298] INFO : [restore] completed at: Fri Dec 19 23:06:55 MST 2014
[2014-12-19 23:06:59,894] INFO : Sending email alert - message=[RAID][RESTORE] FAILURE

I have had my server powered off for the last few weeks because I didn't want any data to be written to my disks or a FlexRAID update to run, while I was working on getting a replacement HDD.

When I try a restore without specifying the optional path, the same error is thrown. What am I to do?

Offline Quaraxkad

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 381
  • Karma: +24/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Restore Failed
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 10:54:41 am »
Enable "TRACE" logging and try again, then provide the logs. Maybe also try updating to the latest version, which is from 2014-08-16. The current version numbering is a bit strange (for example mine says I'm using u12d which according to the changelog doesn't exist...) but I think you're on an old version.

Online Brahim

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8,541
  • Karma: +204/-16
    • View Profile
Re: Restore Failed
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 11:40:42 am »
@A88337CDBC00C3A2
You metadata file is corrupted.
Go to your PPU disk and find the flxr.meta file and upload it somewhere for review.
Also, upload the backups of that files if any.

Offline A88337CDBC00C3A2

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 12
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Restore Failed
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 02:18:19 pm »
I think at this point it is fruitless. After much effort I came to find out that I have been grossly negligent. I setup e-mail alerts from the beginning and used my gmail account to do so, but I changed my gmail password a few months ago and apparently forgot to update FlexRAID with the new password, so I was never alerted when my updates were failing. Well, last update was from a few months ago and my data has significantly changed since then, as I did a massive re-organization of my data. Since it's only 1TB of data I won't lose too much sleep over it (just audio and video data). I have the important data backed up safely, so no stress there. I am just going to re-install from scratch and re-create my parity and move on. I will try and restore data from the bad drive if I can get it to function long enough to pull data from. If I was on hardware RAID I would probably have lost my entire array, so I am grateful I moved from hardware RAID to software RAID. I'll take the lower performance any day if it means 90% of my data is still readable after making a dumb mistake such as this.

Thanks for your willingness to help out, you guys do a good service to the world. :)