Author Topic: Backblaze  (Read 1572 times)

Offline saaby

• View Profile
Backblaze
« on: December 29, 2014, 01:44:00 pm »
I decided I would like to add a layer of offsite backup to my local flexRAID, so I downloaded Backblaze.

Unfortunately the Flexraid array won't show up in Backblaze as a "backupable" drive / device.

Backblaze will not backup network drives / NAS devices but say they will backup any local computer, including external drives.

Currently my Flexraid array is <4 Tb, meaning that if I mirrored it onto an external drive Backblaze would happily back it up!

I have contacted Backblaze -- does anybody have any experience using Backblaze with Flexraid? Is there another service (Crashplan...Carbonite...) that's known to "play well" with flexraid?

Thanks,

Offline Quaraxkad

• View Profile
Re: Backblaze
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 03:22:45 pm »
Is there another service (Crashplan...Carbonite...) that's known to "play well" with flexraid?

I use CrashPlan and it does play well with the FlexRAID pool as the backup source. As for Backblaze, I'm not sure. I originally planned on using that but its software does not support Server operating systems so I went with CrashPlan instead. Does the Backblaze software allow you to choose individual folders instead of complete drives? Perhaps it won't see the virtual drive, but it will see the folders it contains. What about if you change the Removable option of the Pool?

Offline saaby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 01:17:17 am »
I got a reply back from BackBlaze support. Rather than summarize, as it's short already, I'll post here:

If the device is recognized as "Removable Storage" rather than a "Hard Drive" Backblaze will not be able to back it up. Devices that identify as Removable Storage are considered to be transient storage, and as such are not able to be included for backup to Backblaze.

If the FlexRAID software allows you to change it to show up as a standard "Hard Drive" it may work normally.

I guess the choices are CrashPlan (Java/Ick!) or mirroring everything I want offsite onto an external hard drive (Ick!).

Tough choice. I'll have to sleep on this one!

Offline m0t0k0

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 02:59:26 pm »
cant you just set the pool drive as fixed?
WHS 2011
Transparent RAID

Offline Aryn Ravenlocke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 03:45:17 pm »
I ran into this very same problem not 5 minutes ago. When I contacted Backblaze, I was told that my 16-drive array that was hooked up to the motherboard of my PC was still considered under the category of NAS. Furthermore, there was no way to alter the settings to fix that issue. So much for Backblaze.

Offline jasonjrf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 01:20:25 am »
This is a super old post but I found it on Google so someone else may as well especially because now Crashplan which I have been using is no longer offering the home user 6 dollar a month backup plan you would need to switch to a business plan.  I installed backblaze and my flexraid pool would not show up.  Like someone else stated in this thread all you have to do is set the pool to fixed and not removable and it showed up in backblaze for me and is working fine.  I don't like that you can't exclude the C drive in backblaze that is just silly so you have to exclude every folder in the C drive if you don't want it backed up.  They should just let you pick folders you want to back up instead of excluding everything you don't want backed up that is just rediculous.  However once that is done the speed at which BackBlaze backs up is as fast as your net will allow.  Crashplan throttled bad it took me 6 months to backup 5 TB of data with Crashplan BackBlaze is doing it much much faster.