Author Topic: BitFlock integration for SMART  (Read 1317 times)

Offline AndreasK

• View Profile
BitFlock integration for SMART
« on: February 11, 2015, 09:54:35 pm »
How about integration with bitflock? It would benefit both products/services.

It's always been common knowledge that SMART data is generally difficult to interpret due to different manufacturer implementations.
I've also noticed that FlexRAID can't query SMART data from some controllers/USB interfaces so this would be a nice solution.

Offline Quaraxkad

• View Profile
Re: BitFlock integration for SMART
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 09:51:20 am »
I've also noticed that FlexRAID can't query SMART data from some controllers/USB interfaces so this would be a nice solution.

Bitflock wouldn't do anything to help this. All it does it analyze the retrieved data and compare it to other submissions of the same drive. SMART data retrieval is handled entirely by smartctl, not FlexRAID itself. If FlexRAID is not reporting any SMART data, look around on smartmontools support website to see if it supports your controller and how to make it work. You'll probably need to configure the Advanced Mappings.

Offline AndreasK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 09:21:02 pm »
I don't think that's quite right. My understanding of the Stablebit scanner and bitflock is that it also maintains a information on how to query drive information through various controller and bridge chips.
https://stablebit.com/Scanner/Features

Offline Quaraxkad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 11:21:00 pm »
I see what you meant about BitFlock (though it is not mentioned in the link you provided), however that applies only to USB drives. But still even then, I don't believe it would be of any use to FlexRAID, this would have to be a feature that the people who write smartctl would need to implement.