Author Topic: Flexraid Storage Pool how to hide drives?  (Read 1042 times)

Offline whitman27

• View Profile
Flexraid Storage Pool how to hide drives?
« on: March 26, 2015, 05:04:28 pm »
Hi guys,
I am still in my trial period and think I am going to buy Flexraid.
I currently have it setup in StoragePooling Expert Mode.
The pool has 5 drives in it equaling around 10 TB. 
The Pool is drive V and works great, and I have it setup on my other computers to stream media.

But is there a way to have the drives that are in the pool hidden in my computer?  As right now it lists them all....  See screen shot below.

Whit

Offline Quaraxkad

• View Profile
Re: Flexraid Storage Pool how to hide drives?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 05:57:48 pm »
You should have set up the drives and array with NTFS mount points and NOT drive letters. It's too late for that now if you're all set up and parity calculated (without starting over), but you can still tell Windows to hide certain letters: http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/555438
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 05:59:38 pm by Quaraxkad »

Offline whitman27

• View Profile
Flexraid Storage Pool how to hide drives?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 07:34:04 pm »

You should have set up the drives and array with NTFS mount points and NOT drive letters. It's too late for that now if you're all set up and parity calculated (without starting over), but you can still tell Windows to hide certain letters: http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/555438

If I do this will Flex Raid still see the drives?

Offline Quaraxkad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 11:14:02 pm »
That tweak does nothing but hide the drives from showing up in Explorer. FlexRAID won't know the difference. The drives are still there, you can even still get to them by typing the drive letter in the address bar.

EDIT: That guide says it applies to XP, but I'm sure it works in other versions as well. If not that exact registry setting then it's another. Not sure what version you are using...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 11:16:45 pm by Quaraxkad »

Offline Newhaven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 08:51:17 pm »
If anyone is still interested in a resolution for the above topic try the following:

Download HideCalc from here: http://hidecalc.co.uk/
 *Run hidecalc as admin, check the drives you want to hide & create .adm

Open gpedit.msc. Highlight administrative templates under user configuration & right click. Select add\remove templates. Add the .adm you created with hidecalc.

Expand classic administrative templates (under administrative template). Select Hidecalc. Drill down until you see the 2 settings you just created. Open the hide drives setting and enable.

Now the actual drives are hidden in explorer, but can be accessed by entering the original drive letter in file explorer (example-J:\)-so now have the best of both worlds. If you totally want to stop any kind of access to these drives-open prevent access to these drives and enable.

Newhaven