Author Topic: Windows 10 Preview error  (Read 9901 times)

Offline Foobar

• View Profile
Re: Windows 10 Preview error
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 04:24:27 pm »
I haven't messed with Win10 for a while but I remember when I did I had trouble accessing files over the network, wondering if that issue still exists.  This was the solution at the time, might be worth a try now as well:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_web/the-account-is-not-authorized-to-login-from-this/5aa0c61d-7e27-41ce-b1cd-1bedbe5c5ead?auth=1

Please post back your results just in case it is relevant and does solve the issue.

Offline Methanoid

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 07:59:05 am »
yeah I am running release Windows 10 and my flexraid is well and truly ****ed up...

I cannot run Pool as fixed (as previous poster - initialisation errors)
Run Pool as Removable and nobody can access it from anywhere except the server.

In my personal situation I had to reinstall my server as I got a bad case of malware messing up and installing crap so even when I thought I had it all gone I wasn't happy with system. So, I tried Windows 10.

We really could do with some support on this. I'd rather not have to reinstall all over again to go to 8.1 or 7, and then wait for some support before I can go back to 10. As previous posters said, it isn't like we didnt know 10 was coming or the preview releases weren't available.

So, my advice for now.. Avoid 10 with Flexraid until Brahim releases some fixes.

Offline shadow5555

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 04:26:41 pm »
I would like to see how many people are affected by the lack of support of flexraid support in windows 10? Lets see a show of hands of who else is affected....

Offline waffles

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 06:44:22 am »
I am affected. I got caught off guard after the upgrade to Win10 and FlexRaid no longer worked (everything else seems to be working fine, not only on my FlexRaid server, but on several other machines I have).

I have to go back to Win7 until this gets fixed or I find a Win 10 compatible alternative for drive pooling.

I am hopeful that Brahim will offer a fix very soon, at least as a beta.

Offline KanKan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2015, 01:24:14 am »
I am also reciving the error Mount error! Code=2 Message=The system cannot find the file specified. I had it working but deleted my previous volume because of the recycle bin error. When i tryed to re-create it fails every time. I have re-installed it several time but still getting the same errors.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2015, 01:54:26 am »
I would like to see how many people are affected by the lack of support of flexraid support in windows 10? Lets see a show of hands of who else is affected....
You are not affected by anything. ;)

Support for Windows 10 was resolved long ago, but it is just not yet released as that's not the point.
The release will be out once we get a sense that people are running stable systems under Windows 10. The hope is that, during this wait, drivers will mature a bit more and initial hardware incompatibility issues (if any) will be resolved or well documented.

Offline zirconicus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2015, 04:08:31 pm »
Hope to see the new release soon, i'm waiting to buy a second license for my new windows 10 pc :)

Offline commodus

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2015, 08:31:49 am »
If I'm not planning to use Storage Pool but only snapshot in order to have disk protection in case of failure. Will this work with current version of Flexraid if I upgrade to Windows 10?
Thanks

Offline Methanoid

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2015, 12:08:42 pm »
Brahim

You have W10 Support ready but want us to be running stable systems before you release it? That's very much a chicken and egg situation!!   I was running Win10 fine but when I found that Flexraid would not work I had to downgrade ... I will run Win10 as soon as I can but I *need* Flexraid more than Win10....

Offline monkeysez

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 06:15:45 pm »
Seconded. Why not release it under beta/preview and let us take our chances.

Offline jtyphoid

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2015, 07:30:44 pm »
Seconded. Why not release it under beta/preview and let us take our chances.
I can't speak for Brahim, but I do software development for a living and beta releases are both a boon and a bain. No matter how strongly you tell people to NOT USE BETA SOFTWARE IN PRODUCTION, some will inevitably do just that then blame you when they lose data.

I, too, would like to have FlexRAID for Windows 10, but I understand that Brahim wants to wait for the dust to settle on Windows 10.

Offline hewligun

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2015, 11:20:02 am »
You are not affected by anything. ;)

Support for Windows 10 was resolved long ago, but it is just not yet released as that's not the point.
The release will be out once we get a sense that people are running stable systems under Windows 10. The hope is that, during this wait, drivers will mature a bit more and initial hardware incompatibility issues (if any) will be resolved or well documented.

This seems like a bit of an odd post. It has been known for awhile support was not working. The product is out and users have upgraded and youre holding back what could be a beta release so users can get up and running for a product they paid for. Seems strange you leave your users out in the cold. Not the best customer service approach. Especially when competitors have products supporting windows 10.

Offline shadow5555

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2015, 02:35:54 pm »
I whole hardly agree with this post. The other competitors admit fully they dont have thier product working under Windows 10, but are at least putting in effort to get it  ready for release. That says alot about product support and development.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2015, 04:02:28 pm »
That's better than us who have it already working like ages ago?   ???

As jtyphoid pointed out, experience trounces everything. People don't listen to warnings and will do whatever they want only to turn around and complain when they get into troubles.

Apple's success comes from keeping users from screwing themselves. We are just taking a page off their book. ;)
Sure, knowledgeable users will be just fine being on the bleeding edge and are being penalized here. However, it is our duty to steer the general user base toward more sound choices.

The sound choice right now is to let the dust settle on Windows 10 before you commit your precious data to it. This is not to say that Windows 10 is not stable - but just that experience has taught us that the first release of any Windows system is not one you want to commit your production environment to.
In all cases, official support (read, when we are willing to listen to your woes) is just a corner away.

Offline FrostyWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2015, 04:03:47 pm »
I whole hardly agree with this post. The other competitors admit fully they dont have thier product working under Windows 10, but are at least putting in effort to get it  ready for release. That says alot about product support and development.

Which if you read any of his posts, is exactly what he is doing.  They have a working windows 10 release in internal testing right now.  What more do you want? He may be a little blunt (a little too blunt at times) but he had said that they have flexraid working in windows 10, and are just waiting for the dust to settle on the new OS before deploying it, because a new windows release has, almost with out a fault in the past, been all over the place for a few months.

You seem to be upset there is not windows 10 support yet, and at the same time, say the "competitors" also don't have windows 10 support.  So why would you expect anything to be different here? 

No offense to you personally, but your attitude and actions here are exactly why Brahim, and many developers, don't release the first working version, especially for a new OS.  If your data is important enough to have on a raid, why would you have updated the computer with the raid on it to 10 without checking and double checking it was safe to?  I don't even have regular updates enabled on the server, because deploying updates can have a tendency to break more then it fixes if you are running any kind of complicated setup, until you are sure it is safe.  It is also why it is regularly suggested on this forum to have a test machine or VM running flexraid, that you can install programs and updates to before deploying them live on your real system to make sure they won't break.

It sucks you jumped the gun and updated to windows 10 early, but that isn't Brahim's fault, nor should he rush a release because of it.  He never said a windows 10 release wasn't coming, he said that is will come when then stable build they have running stays that way for a bit longer to make sure they don't have a botched update.  While I do think Brahim could use a little PR buffer because his posts tend to be blunt and harsh, his actions are entirely reasonable and I don't see what the problem is.