Author Topic: Upgrading to Windows 10  (Read 2137 times)

Offline ranglim

• View Profile
Upgrading to Windows 10
« on: May 28, 2016, 07:55:01 pm »
Any tips, best practice, for FlexRaid on Windows while upgrading to Win 10?  I have updated FlexRaid-F to 2.1, seems to be working.  So do I stop the array?  Stop Plex?  during the upgrade.  Any suggestions?

Offline Bugman

• View Profile
Re: Upgrading to Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 07:04:55 am »
There is an upgrade recommended process on the FAQ page, just google it. I believe it's stop the pool, stop the service, uninstall the software, reboot, then install the latest upgrade.

I did this recently on a Win 10 machine I upgraded from Win 7. It works, but I can't get the service to start automatically after reboot. Pain in the ass...I may consider reversing the Win 10 upgrade and go back to Win 7.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 01:48:26 am »
The recommended approach has been posted several times.

1. Before upgrading the OS, you should uninstall the software
2. And then install the software after the OS upgrade

The reasons are that the proper drivers need to be installed for the OS.

If you already upgraded, then uninstall the software, reboot, check that the old installation folder is fully gone otherwise delete it, re-install the software, reboot.
For auto-start issues, set the service to delay start: https://www.google.com/#q=delay+startup+programs+windows+10

Offline DarkKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 02:50:52 pm »
The recommended approach has been posted several times.

I don't like to keep hassling you about this stuff, and coming across as less than polite, but when are we going to see some meaningful updates to the Raid-F product? I depend on Flexraid to get a job done that it is increasingly failing to do. It's frustrating. It's not entirely in my control. I could step back to W7 and an earlier version of FR that doesn't have recycle bin or verification issues, but why should I have to do that? I don't understand how you can justify months and months going by with no visible progress on your product. You redirected all of your development time into a new product, instead of fixing your existing product, and have asked us to be patient while your creative process gets everything done Soon™. Soon came and went; now it's better late than never. Please, please, please put some time into fixing this product.

I don't want to have to migrate away from Flexraid, but if I'm forced to, I'll be sure to help everyone understand the process so people will have options instead of being left in the lurch like they are currently.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 05:20:10 pm »
The next release is in the works and yes, there is no ETA unfortunately.
The good news is, we are not too far from a release. There just isn't a time commitment to it.

Having to take a break isn't ideal, but it has proven fruitful each time thus far.