Author Topic: OSX Intermittent error "You don't have permission to see it's contents"  (Read 1242 times)

Offline narkotic

• View Profile
Hi!

Running Flexraid on Server 2012 mounted as HFS. Using basic Windows sharing, I'm able to mount it in OSX, but folder traversing can be painful. Sometimes it will enter a folder no problem, but 90% of the time it will go into the folder and then back out into the previous folder. Sometimes, OSX will show a red dash-circle on the folder icon and when this happens, I get the warning "The folder "foldername" can't be opened because you don't have permission to see it's contents". If I dis-mount and re-mount, the red dash is gone and I'm able to get back in. Sometimes I get traverse deeper, sometimes I cannot, it's random.

I've tried mounting with a user that has full rights and one with read only thinking maybe OSX is trying to copy some weird file during browse, to no avail.

Is this an HFS issue, or Flexraid issue? Doing searches I'm not really finding anything that connect the dots.

Mode: tRaid
Broker: 1.0.0 2014.11.16
Kernel: 1.0.0 2014.11.16

OSX - El Capitan 10.11.5

Thanks!

Offline artroom

• View Profile
I think it is a Mac issue in conjunction with Flexraid.
I have been battling with Flexraid and Mac for several years now, through many versions of both, and things haven't gotten any better, is some aspects worse.
I would not recommend Flexraid for use with Macs now, knowing this.
My issues were allowing me to view directories ok (but I only usually have to go one to three levels deep) but if I try to copy files over I always get a permissions error. I used to be able to copy files and randomly get errors, now I get them EVERY time. Oddly however I can copy folders (containing files). This often works, but sometimes I still get permissions errors halfway through copying, even if it contains just 1 file, it will get a permissions error after copying for several minutes - I don't understand this.
I have tried everything I can think of in terms of user levels and permissions to no avail.
Copying the same items to the same server (WHS11) works perfectly when going to the non flex raid drive, so not a mac/network issue, just a combination of mac and flex raid.

I have now setup FTP on the server and am using that to interact with the Flexraid drive. So far it has been ok, but time will tell.