Author Topic: Restore Problems  (Read 961 times)

Offline brdhse1

• View Profile
Restore Problems
« on: July 16, 2016, 01:27:45 pm »
I have a raid-f configuration with 2 DRUs and 2 PPUs running on Ubuntu 14.04.  One of my DRUs failed today, so I got a new drive and put it in.  Then I went through the Toolbox->Restore option to restore DRU #2.  It looked like everything was going ok, but then flexraid took an exception.  The flexraid log file had a message about the disk being out of space.  Running df . showed that my disk was out of space.  My OS runs on a 120 GB SSD and it's usually on 20% full.  After a lot of trouble, I found that /root/flexraid-managed-pool had used the remaining space on the disk during the restore process. 

I panicked and deleted everything under /root/flexraid-managed-pool/class1(something like that).  I couldn't boot my machine any more until I freed up space and I didn't have any other space to give. It seems that might have been a mistake.  Now my drive manager shows that all disks are missing (image attached). 

What can I do?  Only DRU2 was lost originally, did I make my PPUs unusable too?

Offline brdhse1

• View Profile
Re: Restore Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 03:35:31 pm »
Ok, 2 things

1) I should have put this in the snapshot raid forum. Sorry.

2)  I went through the process of recreating my snapshot, importing the drives with existing data.  I think that's the correct thing to do... Anyway, same thing happens during the rebuilding of DRU2.  During the "parity computation process", flexraid consumes all free space on the OS drive and crashes. 

Why does it consume all the space on /root/FLexraid... , how can I make it stop doing that, and how can I get my DRU2 restored?

Thanks!

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 05:02:36 pm »
That means DRU2 is not mounted properly.

Offline brdhse1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 08:51:22 pm »
I don't know how it couldn't have been mounted correctly.  I tried doing a restore of DRU2 from the Drive Manager and somehow ended up with one good Parity and the rest of the drives destroyed.   So lost everything.  Fortunately I don't consider RAID a backup, so most of my data is recoverable elsewhere.

As long as I'm starting over, is it easier to restore a drive with the new transparent raid?  Don't take this the wrong way, but I was a little disappointed in the fact that not only was I not notified of the failed drive (I found out when I had problems reading some of my files), but the restore process was more complicated than I would have liked. 

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 12:11:34 pm »
I don't know how it couldn't have been mounted correctly.  I tried doing a restore of DRU2 from the Drive Manager and somehow ended up with one good Parity and the rest of the drives destroyed.   So lost everything.  Fortunately I don't consider RAID a backup, so most of my data is recoverable elsewhere.
Sorry, but that does not make much sense. Please take the time to properly formulate your issues with a much detail and clarity as possible.
By what magic does restoring a failed disk yield you "good parity" and "destroyed drives"? What is good parity? And what are destroyed drives?

It is impossible for anyone to offer constructive help when posts are that off the wall.

FYI, in RAID-F, you are supposed to setup SMART monitoring in order to be notified of a failed disk. RAID-F is flexible and allows for disks to be offline. It is the SMART monitoring feature that does disk health monitoring.