Author Topic: Possible to convert RAID-F to T-RAID?  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Parallax Abstraction

• View Profile
Possible to convert RAID-F to T-RAID?
« on: September 13, 2016, 06:22:11 pm »
Hey everyone. Apologies if this was answered elsewhere but I searched and couldn't find anything.

I recently started a RAID-F trial for an array I wanted to use for backing up a lot of media, video projects and other stuff. I was just using a JBOD Storage Spaces setup with CrashPlan for online backup before. I was backing up many terabytes over hundreds of thousands of files to both volumes. I copied all that data off, put in 4 3TB drives and pooled them into RAID-F with 1 PPU. I just finished copying all my data back over two days and unfortunately, discovered that CrashPlan cannot do real-time monitoring of RAID-F volumes. I normally wouldn't care but because of CrashPlan's bloated, inefficient Java client, regular scheduled rescans of all the drives are not possible as it takes literally more than half a day to rescan everything. I've since discovered that T-RAID wouldn't have this problem and in truth, that's probably what I should have gone with in the first place.

My question is, is it possible to convert a RAID-F setup over to a T-RAID one without having to wipe the drives (i.e. having to spend another 4 days total copying all my data to other drives and copying it back again?) If I have to recopy everything, so be it as this was due to a research flub on my part (though also, the Wiki really needs to be cleaned up as there's a lot of outdated articles on there now) but I wanted to see if I could save myself that hassle.

Thanks all!

Offline cogliostrio

• View Profile
Re: Possible to convert RAID-F to T-RAID?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 01:04:03 am »
t-Raid can be created with data on the drives. All you have to do is create parity (re-calculate) for your t-Raid install.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 03:26:35 pm »
OK, so I just want to be clear on what I need to do. I currently have 3 DDUs and 1 PPU drive. Based on what you're saying, I should be able to just leave the DDUs as-is when I create the the new T-RAID array. What would I do with the PPU drive? Would I need to copy the data off that volume first? If so, can I safely remove it from the RAID-F pool to do so? Thanks!

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 08:21:05 pm »
Never mind. I hadn't had enough coffee when I wrote that post and realised that I don't need anything off the parity drive because...it's the parity drive. Nothing to see here. :)