Author Topic: Assigned a drive a drive letter, when removed, drive turned RAW  (Read 1022 times)

Offline FrostyWolf

• View Profile
Assigned a drive a drive letter, when removed, drive turned RAW
« on: October 14, 2016, 03:49:15 pm »
http://i.imgur.com/MUIeoz8.png

I was trying to locate what physical disk a file was on, so I went to device manager and assigned a drive letter to one of the HDD's to look.  (I did NOT assign it to the "offline" disk...I left them completely alone and assigned it to the "drive" that flexraid adds).

It took the letter fine, I opened it up, looked, didn't delete/add any files, but when I removed the drive letter, the disk switched from NTFS to RAW.

Multiple reboots did not change this, and when I disable the array from auto starting and then I turn the disk back to online to check it, it is RAW.

Using DMDE I can see that the partition seems to still be there, and I can recover any of the files, the problem is I don't have 4TB of free space to recover the entire drive to.

Anyone know of anyway I can "fix" the drive, and then just rebuild/restart the array?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Assigned a drive a drive letter, when removed, drive turned RAW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 09:27:09 am »
1. Check the Windows event viewers. Take note of when file system errors started so that you can better match timelines.

2. Even if you ran the pool with caching on and then accessed the tRAID disk, the entire file system should not corrupt. There is a risk of individual files corrupting if modified from both inside and outside the pool, but for the entire file system to corrupt, something else would be at play.

3. You only solution is file system recovery. Some tools can do this in place so that you don't have to copy the data out.