Author Topic: Clarification needed on the effect of Updates on restoration  (Read 594 times)

Offline radio1one

• View Profile
Clarification needed on the effect of Updates on restoration
« on: November 01, 2016, 09:41:53 pm »
Hi,

I've noticed a few posts lately with issues relating to updates and failed drives, and one post caught my attention

Is it possible that it did a update when the drive was failed?  Any way to tell?
- TdiDave, 10/31/16

If a drive fails, and a successful update is performed, are you able to still restore that drive? For example, I run an update every day at 3am. If I didn't notice that a drive had failed for 48 hours, would I still be able to retrieve the files? Does FlexRAID fail the update when it detects a DRU is missing / states 0 size?

Anybody able to clarify?

Offline smarty12345

• View Profile
Re: Clarification needed on the effect of Updates on restoration
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 09:06:17 am »
The idea is that, should flexraid see a drive is missing, it should not run the update, so you can then replace/deal with the the missing drive and run a restore. Certainly Flexraid v 2.0 functioned this way.  I did notice and report an issue with earlier versions of v2.1 where Flexraid completed an update even when a drive was taken offline. Meaning that should you then try to restore that mising drive, it would no longer know what was there to restore. As it would have calculated new parity data based on blank data. That issue was supposed to have been rectified in later versions of v2.1. However, the forums are littered with posts from people using newer versions ov v2.1 and reporting verify/validate issues etc. Certainly I had noticed these on other versions. Which is why I and many others reverted back to v2.0.
Alas, it would appear there has been little to no progress reported to suggest that v2.1 is safe to use.

Offline radio1one

• View Profile
Re: Clarification needed on the effect of Updates on restoration
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 08:14:06 am »
Yeah I had a sneaky suspicion that this may be the case. My previous belief was as you said - that FlexRAID won't perform an update if a disk is marked offline. But then all the issues with 2.1 at the moment....

My only problem with going back to 2.0 is that I'm running a Windows 10 box. Has anyone successfully got 2.0 running on Windows 10?

Thanks!