Author Topic: FlexRAID Storage Pooling & Windows Shares (sharing pool and sub-folders)  (Read 911 times)

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Alright guys, this is a topic I wanted to cover and get more clarity on for a while and even before my hiatus.

Both releases of tRAID and RAID-F from November 2015 should have a fix that allow shares created on both the pool and sub-folders within the pool to be remembered.
In prior releases, there was an issue that prevented Windows from doing so and users were required to go to the Web UI and click on a menu option to have shared remembered.

This should no longer be needed as shares created on the pool disk as well as folders within the pool disk should be remembered.
For users on the latest release where this isn't working, please post here so we can investigate as to why that is.

The option to have shared remembered will be removed from the Web UI in future releases.

Offline adridolf

• View Profile
Re: FlexRAID Storage Pooling & Windows Shares (sharing pool and sub-folders)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 11:56:47 am »
Just an annotation in this context:
Although I have the issue with the changing pool GUID (http://bug.flexraid.com/view.php?id=445), the network shares DO stick for me.

tRAID on Windows, working for both folder and drive shares ...

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 01:45:34 pm »
Thanks for the inputs.

The "Share Backup" workaround will be removed from the UI in the build after next. So, everyone should make sure that shares are sticking for their deployment.

Offline webs0r

• Hello, world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 02:20:58 pm »
This has typically been working for me, so I think it is OK.

I have had one instance where it forgot my shares and I had to re-set them up again via Windows. I don't know what triggered that to happen.
FlexRAID expert/snapshot RAID/Storage Pool mode
Windows Server 2008 R2, 23 TB pool, Array1: 3TB redundancy, Array 2: 4TB redundancy, 11 drives total

Offline adridolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 11:03:01 am »
Shares for folders were even there after my conversion from ReFS to NTFS. Only the pool drive was not shared.

Seems to be quite robust.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 11:28:38 am »
Great. Thanks for the feedback.

Offline we9v

• View Profile
This is NOT working for me, on my Pooling Only (Storage Pool, no RAID) configuration.  2.1 [Snapshot 1.1 / Storage Pool 2.0] [2015.11.01]

I have 3 drives (D, E, F), no restricted volumes, Removable: true, Enable recycle bin mode: false, Pool to start automatically after 15000 ms, Pool Merge Mode: Auto-Folder-Priority, Drive Letter: Z

In Windows 7, Explorer, right-click on drive Z (on the drive, not a folder), select Share with > Advanced sharing...
Currently says Not Shared.  Click on the Advanced Sharing... button.  Check box to Share this folder.  Change Share name to Z Root, click Permissions, check Full Control, OK. OK. Close.  Windows now shows that drive Z is shared.

On other PC in network, in file explorer, go to \\MEDIA_SERVER.  A drive shows up "Z Root".  Click on it and all of the contents of my Z shared drive is there.

Back on the Media Server, go into the Storage Pool configuration, click on Server Shares tab, click on Backup Storage Pool Shares.  Would you like to backup your shares configurations?  YES.  Popup: Operation Success.  Saved.

Reboot Media Server PC.  Wait a while...wait forever...and drive Z is not shared.  It does not show the shared icon in the Media Server PC file explorer, nor is the drive accessible from any other PC on the network.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 03:36:16 pm by we9v »

Offline Elan

• View Profile
This is NOT working for me, on my Pooling Only (Storage Pool, no RAID) configuration.  2.1 [Snapshot 1.1 / Storage Pool 2.0] [2015.11.01]

I have 3 drives (D, E, F), no restricted volumes, Removable: true, Enable recycle bin mode: false, Pool to start automatically after 15000 ms, Pool Merge Mode: Auto-Folder-Priority, Drive Letter: Z

In Windows 7, Explorer, right-click on drive Z (on the drive, not a folder), select Share with > Advanced sharing...
Currently says Not Shared.  Click on the Advanced Sharing... button.  Check box to Share this folder.  Change Share name to Z Root, click Permissions, check Full Control, OK. OK. Close.  Windows now shows that drive Z is shared.

On other PC in network, in file explorer, go to \\MEDIA_SERVER.  A drive shows up "Z Root".  Click on it and all of the contents of my Z shared drive is there.

Back on the Media Server, go into the Storage Pool configuration, click on Server Shares tab, click on Backup Storage Pool Shares.  Would you like to backup your shares configurations?  YES.  Popup: Operation Success.  Saved.

Reboot Media Server PC.  Wait a while...wait forever...and drive Z is not shared.  It does not show the shared icon in the Media Server PC file explorer, nor is the drive accessible from any other PC on the network.

I have a similar setup, and the same issue. My pool shares are never remembered after reboot. I'm on Windows 7, and 2.1 [Snapshot 1.1 / Storage Pool 2.0] [2015.11.01].
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 02:00:17 pm by Elan »

Offline webs0r

• Hello, world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 06:20:41 pm »
FWIW this is not working for me either now.

It was working fine for years until i decided to change my FlexRAID setup a bit; deleted my pool and re-created it in the UI. Then it stopped working.

As it is not acknowledged as a bug, I've had to run a simple workaround - make a simple batch file with the contents:

net share Videos="E:\Videos" /GRANT:Everyone,READ /GRANT:User1,CHANGE /GRANT:User2,CHANGE
net share ...

You can see the share name, the path, and user permissions. Then you just have to manually run that after a reboot.
Not ideal but it helps as I need to set up 6 shares with slightly different permissions.
There may be a better way to do it rather than have to log in to the machine. (Maybe could use the task scheduler or something) Luckily I don't reboot that often.
Main problem is that if there is a server crash and auto-reboot, if I'm not there to do this, the server will come back up but without the shares ready.
FlexRAID expert/snapshot RAID/Storage Pool mode
Windows Server 2008 R2, 23 TB pool, Array1: 3TB redundancy, Array 2: 4TB redundancy, 11 drives total

Offline we9v

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 07:27:46 pm »
3 months since I posted my detailed explanation and no reply, Brahim?