Author Topic: Transparent RAID (tRAID) Version 1.1 Preview release  (Read 9571 times)

Offline adridolf

• View Profile
Re: Transparent RAID (tRAID) Version 1.1 Preview release
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 07:27:53 am »
Typos:
For the SIMT feature tooltip, I think it should be "past" instead of "passed" (brackets at the end)?
For the CQ Depth tooltip (about in the middle of the text): "accessed" instead of "access".

For TCQ the default depth is 8, but the tooltip says it's 32. (Which one would you actually recommend as default?)

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2017, 08:18:34 am »
Will resolve all posted issues and will push a new build later today.

FYI, the SIMT feature will be removed from the UI as it is a major feature I did not intend to have in this release. Plus, only part of it is being enabled in this build. The full stack is rather cool, and we will discuss of that later. I did not mean to let this cat out of the bag. ;)
This release is really supposed to be a bug fix release with no major feature.

Offline adridolf

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2017, 08:21:17 am »
Okay, I disable it again ... ;-)

Offline adridolf

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2017, 04:07:13 am »
I'm not sure whether the data I get in the RAID Monitoring tab is reasonable.

I've added a screenshot of a disk where I've definitely written to since the update. Nevertheless, I see low write speed and 0 % Write Update.

The other disks are similar, but to those I may have not written so far.

However, as I don't know which set the median is deduced from, I cannot judge this further.

BTW: What's the "last update" in the "Since last update" option.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 04:10:32 am by adridolf »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2017, 11:02:59 am »
"Since Last Update" is since the time when the last statistic was collected. It is usually in seconds. I can't remember the exact duration, but is should be 15 seconds or less. It is supposed to represent the current (as in within the last few seconds) performance metrics.

Otherwise, the "Median" values are averages since the array has been up.

Offline adridolf

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2017, 06:00:29 am »
Looks like the preview resolved my issue with files being deleted when moved (http://bug.flexraid.com/view.php?id=431).

I will investigate this further with the new build and report again ...

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2017, 09:06:04 am »
Looks like the preview resolved my issue with files being deleted when moved (http://bug.flexraid.com/view.php?id=431).

I will investigate this further with the new build and report again ...
With ReFS?
The defect is still open only because of the issue moving from the pool to disk outside the pool on ReFS.

Offline adridolf

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2017, 09:09:16 am »
Yes, with ReFS. Just realized it, did not have time to evaluate further. And obviously I do not have any idea why it seems to work now...

Offline adridolf

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2017, 09:15:52 am »
Just checked: I also have exactly the same settings for array and pool. Must be some change in the preview. Will post again as soon as I've tested more extensively.

Despite that, I still have severe problems with Mercurial. Trying to narrow it down to something reproducible/evaluable at moment ...

Offline d2dyno

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2017, 08:34:54 pm »
Will resolve all posted issues and will push a new build later today.

FYI, the SIMT feature will be removed from the UI as it is a major feature I did not intend to have in this release. Plus, only part of it is being enabled in this build. The full stack is rather cool, and we will discuss of that later. I did not mean to let this cat out of the bag. ;)
This release is really supposed to be a bug fix release with no major feature.
Where can I get the latest build then?

Offline adridolf

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2017, 05:43:32 am »
Current state on the moving files problem:

Scenario 1: Accessing pool via network share and moving folder to local drive (drag and drop)
-> Folder structure is preserved during move (=successful)
-> moved files do NOT show up in the URB (which I would call reasonable behavior)
= desired behavior

Scenario 2: Accessing pool locally (via Remote Desktop) and moving folder to non-FlexRaid drive (drag and drop)
-> Target folder is empty
-> moved folder and subfiles DO show up in the URB
= earlier behavior

Scenario 3: Accessing pool locally as in Scenario 2 but moving files with PowerShell's MoveItem
-> Target folder is created and complete
-> the URB only contains the moved folder without subfiles/-folders
EDIT:
-> the URB contains all subfiles and -folders as individual entries, indicating that they are moved and deleted sequentially by the command

In any case, although the current behavior is somewhat erratic, it is much preferable to the previous situation, as network share access is the most common usage scenario for me and no data is lost in any configuration.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 05:53:24 am by adridolf »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2017, 09:31:01 am »
Thanks for the update.

Scenario 3 is to be expected for applications that choose to have atomic operations on the individual files. This is what happens when applications code strictly against a known behavior rather than a contract.
The contract is such that folders and files can be deleted. Whether there are possible constraints such as ACL or certain file systems requiring that folders be empty first is a separate concern. A proper approach would be to try to delete the folder first (whether empty or not) and then delete the sub-entries if there is a failure that dictates so.

For scenario 1, what is the OS of the client machine? I am a bit worried that later versions of SMB against a host running ReFS might lead to the same behavior as scenario 2.

Offline adridolf

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2017, 09:39:27 am »
Scenario 3 was only added for completeness and for your information, since it is not a usage scenario for me, but did work already before the preview.

For all current and earlier tests, client has always been Win 8.1 Prof x64 and server Win 2012 R2. If required, I also have a Win 10 client machine.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2017, 11:30:10 am »
Scenario 3 was only added for completeness and for your information, since it is not a usage scenario for me, but did work already before the preview.
Yep, got that... was only providing details whether useful or not. :)
Now, are you saying the behavior in Powershell is different between the official release and this preview release? How so?

For all current and earlier tests, client has always been Win 8.1 Prof x64 and server Win 2012 R2. If required, I also have a Win 10 client machine.
A test using Win10 would be great. If we can validate the one ReFS odd behavior is limited to that one scenario, the greater the opportunity to formulate a workaround if not a fix.

Offline adridolf

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2017, 11:37:49 am »
Now, are you saying the behavior in Powershell is different between the official release and this preview release? How so?

No, PowerShell was the only way to move files successfully BEFORE the preview and has the same behavior since it still works (do not remember what happened to the URB then). If you look at the bug report, there was a point where I realized that although drag-and-drop did not work, I could move with PowerShell. However, this was already a test build provided by you, so I never tested this with the real release version. What's new in the preview is that moving from the network share is now possible, this was not the case in any previous build (except the compatibility mode of the URB).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 11:39:20 am by adridolf »