Author Topic: Creating new storage pool froze - now old storage pool reappeared and persists  (Read 689 times)

Offline sexycommando

• View Profile
I have a somewhat complex problem that I am hoping someone can help me figure out.

• I had a Snapshot RAID with 5 drives running happily, but I ran out of storage space and wanted to expand it.
  • I bought a new 6th hard drive and wanted to use it as the new PPU drive, and convert my old PPU drive into a DRU drive.
  • I stopped the old storage pool and deleted the configuration.
  • Then I found my old PPU drive in Windows' Computer Management Disk Management and formatted it to NTFS.
  • I created a new FlexRAID configuration with my old PPU drive as a DRU drive, and my newly purchased drive as the new PPU drive.
  • Initialization and step 1 - create said it would take about 10 hours, but went much slower and continued for 4 days straight.
  • At around 80 hours and 90% complete, the initialization froze. It stayed at 90% complete with spinning wheels for another 12 hours with no progress, and the timer did not change either.
  • I rebooted my computer, and upon reboot, my old configuration storage pool (with 5 drives before I added the new drive) reappears in Windows!
  • I delete the new 6 drive configuration in the Web Client to try to build it again, and all 6 of the individual DRU and PPU drives show up in Windows Explorer, alongside the old configuration storage pool that is comprised of 5 of them.
  • The old configuration storage pool is still navigable and I can access all the files and folders in it, just as if I had never stopped and deleted it.
  • The old configuration does not appear in the Web Client, and I have formatted the old PPU drive so I cannot restore it and try to stop it again.

I stopped at this point, assuming I did something terribly wrong, and do not want to do anything more until I figure out what to do next. How do I safely get rid of my old storage pool? Is there anything different I need to do when recreating my new storage pool this time?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
To have a clean slate, stop the service and delete the configuration DB (usually on your C drive).
Then restart the service, which will create a new DB. From that point, create a new config and initialize as normal.

Give that a shot.

Offline sexycommando

• View Profile
Thanks Brahim.

I stopped the service as administrator, deleted the *-Config.db file in my C: drive, and restarted the service again as administrator.

Once I restarted the service, the old configuration storage pool appeared again in Windows Explorer. The *-Config.db file also reappears in my C: drive.

Should I still try to proceed and build my new configuration, or did I miss something?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 12:30:42 pm by sexycommando »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
...old configuration storage pool appeared again in Windows Explorer
Where?
Stop the service and delete any config DB not located at the root of your C drive.

Offline sexycommando

• View Profile
I think I narrowed down when the old storage pool reappears.

I stop service as administrator, delete the config DB file, and restart service as administrator, everything goes as normal and the old storage pool does not appear.

When I then open the Web Client and create a new configuration, the old storage pool reappears immediately. This happens before I can open the new configuration to add drives or adjust preferences. The old storage pool was assigned the drive letter V:, as you can see in the attached screenshot.

Please let me know if there is something else I need to be doing to make sure this old storage pool does not reappear. I have done a search of my entire computer and could not find any additional config DB files.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Go to your installation folder and delete everything under <install root>\ext\vc.

Offline sexycommando

• View Profile
Thanks Brahim!

I stopped service as administrator, deleted the Config db file, deleted the file in C:\Program Files (x86)]FlexRAID\RAID-F 2.1\ext\vc\ named ViewConfig_class1_0.txt (no other files in the folder), and restarted service as administrator.

It looks like that worked perfectly. I opened the Web Client, created the new configuration and the old zombie storage pool is not coming back anymore.

When I initialize the RAID, it asks if I would like to re-initialize using the existing parity data in my new PPU drive. This parity data must be from when I first tried to initialize the new configuration and it got stuck at 90%. When I say "yes" to this prompt, it begins initialization and the progress window immediately says "Complete" at the top, but the storage pool does not appear in FlexRAID or Computer Management's Disk Management.

Does this mean I should initialize the configuration from the start without using the existing parity data (and wait 4-5 days), or is there a way to use the existing parity data successfully?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 11:17:35 am by sexycommando »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
...is there a way to use the existing parity data successfully
Sometimes. If it does not work, then you will need to start fresh.

Offline sexycommando

• View Profile
Just wanted to provide an update that I did have to initialize the configuration from the start and not use the old parity data. Everything is working perfectly now. Thanks!