Author Topic: Error when restoring dropped disk (error code 1784)  (Read 296 times)

Offline stevatron

• View Profile
Error when restoring dropped disk (error code 1784)
« on: April 05, 2017, 06:35:55 am »
I've attempted to restore a failed disk using the following guide (which I have done successfully before)
http://wiki.flexraid.com/2013/06/27/restoring-a-failed-disk-in-transparent-raid/

And have received an error code of 1784 and the operation was aborted almost immediately.

The worst thing is that the failed DRU has been replaced with the new DRU to restore to - so I have concerns that the data on the failed DRU is lost (as it is no longer visible in the array).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated - and I certainly hope that I haven't lost the data off the disk

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Error when restoring dropped disk (error code 1784)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 03:06:36 pm »
The Windows event viewer will provide you with more clues on the disk error.
Screenshots of the current state of your configuration as well as logs will help others in being able to provide suggestions.

Offline stevatron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 05:13:43 pm »
Hi Brahim,

Thanks for getting back to me.
Attached is the only interesting event log (although the timeframe of the error doesn't line up with restore failure), and a screenshot of the array configuration.

As for other logs - is there a TRAID specific log location I should check?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 08:05:26 pm by stevatron »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 09:55:31 am »
If the swap was successful but the restore was not, you can restore to the disk in the array. Basically, pay attention at the options presented to you when trying to restore.

If you still get errors trying to restore, you will need to investigate those errors.
Make sure you are doing the restore with the array offline to minimize issues.

Offline stevatron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 01:16:28 am »
Brahim - based on your advice would be be fair to assume that the first part of the "restore" process was a "swap" - and that now my only option is to restore the DRU to the current drive (as in the screenshot attached)?

I have only attempted the single restore to date - and it was while the array was offline.

One further question - the disk I am restoring to is larger in size than the failed disk (as I mentioned in http://forum.flexraid.com/index.php/topic,4242.msg77306.html#msg77306).
Would this be posing a problem to the restore process?

Offline stevatron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 03:46:53 am »
Brahim - did my last questions to you make sense?

My array is still offline, and I am yet to perform any action on it as I'd prefer not to lose any data.

I'll await your response as I cannot find any documentation to answer my questions.

Thanks.

Offline adridolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 06:42:02 am »
Although I'm not Brahim, I remember several occasions of "only restore to a disk with the same size" in this forum. I would stick to that...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 04:29:17 pm by adridolf »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 08:48:55 am »
@stevatron
This is a community forum. So, never address a question to me directly as it prevents others from joining into the topic.

Restoring to a larger disk is fine. The restored volume will not increase to match that of the new disk. Instead it will remain faithful of the original disk. To utilize the full space of the larger disk, you will need to use a partition manager tool to resize the partition.

Offline stevatron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 05:50:37 pm »
Thanks @adridolf and @Brahim

One point that I'm still not certain on - should I restore my drive with "restore into current drive"?  (as per my last screenshot)?