Author Topic: Need to add new hard drive  (Read 776 times)

Offline ks-man

• View Profile
Need to add new hard drive
« on: April 24, 2017, 07:54:42 pm »
I've been using my media server successfully for the past 3-4 years without issue.  It currently uses four 3tb WD Red drives (3 for data and 1 for parity).  I only have about 700gb of the 9tb remaining so I'm going to soon add another hard drive to my pool.  At this point I see there are 4tb, 6tb, and 8tb drives.  The 4tb drive is just slightly higher in prices than the 3tb drives on Amazon and then there is a bit of a jump to 6tb and 8tb. 

I thought I read somewhere a couple of years ago that once you start using higher capacity drives (above 2-3tb) the failure rate goes up significantly.  Is this still true?  Should I just add a 3tb drive and stay consistent?  I can go up to 4tb drives for just a few bucks but I wouldn't want to do it if the reliability isn't as good.  I also am considering paying for either a 6 or 8tb as the premium isn't that large compared to the added storage.  I'm not sure how much more room my server has for drives so I might only be able to put in another 2 or 3 at most.

I realize that the largest drive will be the parity drive so I'll only gain 3tb regardless if I only buy one new hd however I might buy two or else I want to future proof so the next time I buy a new drive I'm starting to add more capacity assuming the reliability isn't different.

Also, since I haven't messed with this in a long time can somebody direct me to a guide or forum post on the process to add a new drive?  I also need to know the process of changing the parity drive assuming I go with a 4tb or larger drive.

Thanks a lot!

Offline ks-man

• View Profile
Re: Need to add new hard drive
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 03:40:17 pm »
Just thought I'd reply to this in case anybody else has a similar question.  I added an 8tb WD Red to my storage pool and everything is going well so far.  I of course needed  to use the 8tb drive as my new parity drive so I only gained 3tb of new space for media, but the next time I add a new drive I can gain up to 8tb.  I'll report back if I end up with any issues with the pool but thus far everything is working great.