Author Topic: tRaid stop, error=31, and possible parity issues after creation  (Read 146 times)

Offline rplotkin

• View Profile
Did a configuration override and uninitialized the tRaid config.
Put in a new PPU (8TB), formatted previous 4TB PPU with a volume, and added as DRU5.
My config now consists of 5 DRUs (4, 4, 4, 8, 4TB) and 1 PPU (8TB)
Started array and, as expected, it asked me to initialize, which I did by creating parity.
It reported that it was working its way through 36TB of data, though the DRUs only sum to about 22TB.
I read in another post that the values do not necessarily need to be equal.
After initializing, the pool mounts successfully. However, when the pool is stopped, it *does not* stop,
though the pooled drive does unmount, and then the web ui reports the following error:
"ErrorCode=31 ErrorMessage=A device attached to the system is not functioning."
The log file shows the output, pasted at the bottom of this message.
If I click "stop" a second time, the pool successfully stops.
If I try to run Verify+, it reports a total of 36TB. From what I understand, this is incorrect; the total on
this _should_ equal the DRU total. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
If I try to start again, I get the message "A restart is required." I have pasted this log below as well,
starting at a slightly different timestamp.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the HOST without success. I'm on a clean Win10 install.
Any ideas on how to fix this? I don't mind recreating again, though I'd prefer to avoid that, but I definitely want to understand proper troubleshooting steps so I don't re-create and *still* have this problem.

Thanks very much,
Richard

LOG from trying to stop.
[2017-05-07 19:57:20,740] INFO  stop(41) - Service stopping...
[2017-05-07 19:57:20,740] INFO  stop(41) - Stopping scheduler...
[2017-05-07 19:57:20,740] INFO  stop(41) - Stopping web server...
[2017-05-07 19:57:20,804] WARN  log(1783) - Exception while dispatching incoming RPC call
org.eclipse.jetty.io.EofException
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpOutput.write(HttpOutput.java:154)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpOutput.write(HttpOutput.java:111)
   at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RPCServletUtils.writeResponse(RPCServletUtils.java:375)
   at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RemoteServiceServlet.writeResponse(RemoteServiceServlet.java:357)
   at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RemoteServiceServlet.processPost(RemoteServiceServlet.java:256)
   at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.AbstractRemoteServiceServlet.doPost(AbstractRemoteServiceServlet.java:62)
   at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:727)
   at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:547)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1359)
   at com.tchegbe.lib.gwt.server.servlet.SecurityFilter.doFilter(SecurityFilter.java:30)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1330)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:478)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:225)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:941)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:409)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:186)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:875)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:117)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerList.handle(HandlerList.java:47)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:110)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:349)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:441)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:936)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:801)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:218)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.BlockingHttpConnection.handle(BlockingHttpConnection.java:50)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.bio.SocketConnector$ConnectorEndPoint.run(SocketConnector$.java:245)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:598)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:533)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.class)
[2017-05-07 19:57:20,816] WARN  log(1783) - respondWithUnexpectedFailure failed while sending the previous failure to the client
org.eclipse.jetty.io.EofException
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpOutput.write(HttpOutput.java:154)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpOutput.write(HttpOutput.java:111)
   at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.RPCServletUtils.writeResponseForUnexpectedFailure(RPCServletUtils.java:397)
   at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.AbstractRemoteServiceServlet.doUnexpectedFailure(AbstractRemoteServiceServlet.java:110)
   at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.AbstractRemoteServiceServlet.doPost(AbstractRemoteServiceServlet.java:67)
   at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:727)
   at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:547)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1359)
   at com.tchegbe.lib.gwt.server.servlet.SecurityFilter.doFilter(SecurityFilter.java:30)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1330)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:478)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:225)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:941)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:409)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:186)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:875)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:117)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerList.handle(HandlerList.java:47)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:110)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:349)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:441)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:936)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:801)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.http.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:218)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.BlockingHttpConnection.handle(BlockingHttpConnection.java:50)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.server.bio.SocketConnector$ConnectorEndPoint.run(SocketConnector$.java:245)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:598)
   at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:533)
[2017-05-07 19:57:53,311] INFO  start(56) - Setting Http port to 8080
[2017-05-07 19:57:53,327] INFO  start(56) - Https port not set. Https requests will not be serviced...
[2017-05-07 19:57:54,048] INFO  init(248) - Build date: 2015.11.12
[2017-05-07 19:57:54,048] INFO  init(248) - Session UUID: 0c73a393-27d1-4d2d-80e9-d932e2f58b68
[2017-05-07 19:57:56,054] WARN  init(248) - Client connection not found for host=1!

LOG from trying to restart
[2017-05-07 20:11:01,491] WARN  send(757) -
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at com.techventus.server.voice.Voice.login(Voice.java:1306)
   at com.techventus.server.voice.Voice.login(Voice.java:1214)
   at com.techventus.server.voice.Voice.init(Voice.java:261)
   at com.techventus.server.voice.Voice.<init>(Voice.java:211)
   at com.tchegbe.lib.gwt.server.notification.SMSAlert.execute(SMSAlert.java:102)
   at com.tchegbe.nzfs.ui.server.op.NZFSNotificationOperations.send(NZFSNotificationOperations.java:757)
   at com.tchegbe.nzfs.ui.server.op.NZFSNotificationOperations.sendNotification(NZFSNotificationOperations.java:757)
   at com.tchegbe.nzfs.ui.server.util.StatusTracker.run(StatusTracker.java:107)

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: tRaid stop, error=31, and possible parity issues after creation
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 05:19:36 am »
The totals reported are correct. Each task reports its own processing size, which does not have to correlate with the array or pool size.
Make sure to comply with the restart requirements.

Offline rplotkin

• View Profile
Re: tRaid stop, error=31, and possible parity issues after creation
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 07:29:03 am »
Okay, good to know the totals are nothing to worry about.
With respect to the restart requirements, I'm not sure which ones you think might not have been followed, and it's perhaps important to my ability to fix this that I understand where I made an error. I certainly followed the restart requirements when re-installing the host. I probably made an error when I un-initialized the array and added new drives. However, I cannot find any explicit requirements on restart procedures when re-initializing an array, and I'm not exactly sure what procedure should be followed. For instance, should I hijack all the drives so I can see their volumes? Leave them all offline?
Perhaps I do not need to re-create parity if I go through this procedure again, but that is also something I don't know how to determine.