Author Topic: What is this Error Code? (-1117)  (Read 419 times)

Offline omniphil

• View Profile
What is this Error Code? (-1117)
« on: July 01, 2017, 05:18:43 am »
Spent 2 weeks moving all my data to the tRaid volume. Once completed I started a Verify/Sync. About half way through I got this error. I really don't think I have a bad disk.

I also notice that it's trying to scan 60TB of data, but my raid is only 40TB (With 36TB of Data), could that be why it thinks there is a bad disk? it went beyond the 40TB and there was nothing there?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What is this Error Code? (-1117)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 06:10:09 pm »
Error codes are Windows error codes: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms681383(v=vs.85).aspx
Code: [Select]
ERROR_IO_DEVICE
1117 (0x45D)
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

See other leads through Google: https://www.google.com/#q=error+code+1117

Offline omniphil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 06:52:14 pm »
This is so confusing....

Is this a Parity checking issue?

So how do I tell what disk is at position 0?   (According to FlexRaid that is my OS drive, which isn't part of the raid)

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 07:08:45 pm »
Your first data disk is the one having issues.
Check the windows event viewer for additional info.

Offline omniphil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 04:11:00 am »
When you say "First" in which view are you talking about?

I have noticed that the order of disks can change around.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 10:05:03 am »
When you say "First" in which view are you talking about?

I have noticed that the order of disks can change around.
The first Data Risk Unit (DRU) in your RAID configuration.

Offline omniphil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 08:27:58 am »
So how would you go about fixing this?   In a normal raid when a read error has occurred the hard drive marks the sector as bad and moves or reconstructs the missing data via parity to a new sector.
All this does is give me an error and stops, that's not helpful.

Should I be running a Verify+ first?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 09:15:23 pm »
Did you check the Windows event logs as suggested?
You are having hardware issues that you need to resolve.

Offline omniphil

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 04:39:19 am »
I have checked the windows event viewer, I don't see any errors around the time of the failure. (I looked in System and Application)

I also tried running a Verify+ it stopped running saying that now UoR 4 has an issue.

I had no issue with these disks under storage spaces. The purpose of a raid is to deal with disk read errors and correct them, so this is why I an confused as to why this just keeps giving up when it hits a read error, or what I assume is a read error since the error messages are just terrible.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 09:46:35 am »
No RAID system can fix hardware or driver issues. I strongly doubt that there is nothing relevant in the Windows logs.
It can also be the case that your system is having issues under load. This can happen if the PSU is not adequate or the system is overheating.
In all cases, there should be some entries in the Windows logs (warnings or errors).

Offline omniphil

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 02:31:38 pm »
Well, I can only go by what your software is telling me, which unfortunately isn't helpful. These disks all worked fine under storage spaces using the same USB3 cabinets that they have been in.

And yes, RAID systems can deal with hardware failures, that's exactly why I am running RAID :)

So where in the Event Viewer should I be looking?

Offline Method007

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 09:12:42 pm »
Your drive is either going bad or you have a bad cable.  It's not uncommon to see this happen on arrays made from hard drives ripped out of USB casings.  External hard drives are generally pretty crappy and don't hold up well to an array.

What you are seeing is a windows error that is usually tired to hardware.  It is in no way related to flexraid in any form. 

Offline omniphil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 11:21:04 am »
Your drive is either going bad or you have a bad cable.  It's not uncommon to see this happen on arrays made from hard drives ripped out of USB casings.  External hard drives are generally pretty crappy and don't hold up well to an array.

What you are seeing is a windows error that is usually tired to hardware.  It is in no way related to flexraid in any form.

That is why I am using a RAID. If all of my storage hardware was perfect I wouldn't need redundancy.  All of this hardware was running fine under Storage Spaces. Yes, some of these hard drives are older and will have read errors once in a while. Storage Space can deal with that. FlexRAID apparently cannot.

Even my main raid which is a Synology NAS has read errors once in a while as will happen with huge disks. However instead of just failing and stopping, the Synology will log the bad sector and deal with it and keep protecting my data.

I wanted FlexRAID because it allows me to add data and parity disks one by one without recreating the RAID, something I cannot do with Storage Spaces. But it's now clear to me that the resiliency of Storage Spaces severely outweighs the ability to add disks on the fly. I have already deleted the FlexRAID and created a Storage Spaces volume using the same hardware and I am having no such issue like I started this thread about.

I sent an email to FlexRAID sales hoping to get a refund since I have never even received my license keys after over 2 weeks of waiting.

I appreciate everyones input and the developer for making such a wonderful product, but it just doesn't meet my needs with very large RAIDs on older hardware.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:22:37 am by omniphil »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 10:08:11 pm »
That is why I am using a RAID. If all of my storage hardware was perfect I wouldn't need redundancy.  ...

You are terribly confused. No RAID on earth will fix your hardware issues. The very foundation of a good RAID system is stable hardware. RAID is solely for the eventual disk failure.

Offline omniphil

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 07:55:31 pm »
You are terribly confused. No RAID on earth will fix your hardware issues. The very foundation of a good RAID system is stable hardware. RAID is solely for the eventual disk failure.

Thank you for your opinion, but that is clearly not the case here as I am having no such problems with either my Synology raid or Storage Spaces raid when it comes to dealing with bad sectors/bad reads. Large raids have a pretty high occurrence of a bad read happening just due to the math involved even on brand new equipment.

I don't expect RAID to fix my hardware, I however do expect it to keep working around read errors. That is exactly what the parity is for...

Here are two quotes right from Wikipedia...

"While most RAID levels can provide good protection against and recovery from hardware defects or defective sectors/read errors (hard errors), they do not provide any protection against data loss due to catastrophic failures...."

"RAID levels greater than RAID 0 provide protection against unrecoverable sector read errors, as well as against failures of whole physical drives."

RAID is not solely for the eventual disk failure. You might be the one who is confused....
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 08:34:40 pm by omniphil »