Author Topic: Unfit for Purpose  (Read 289 times)

Offline kracazol

• View Profile
Unfit for Purpose
« on: July 15, 2017, 02:35:37 pm »
I have recently noticed some files missing from my snapshot raid array. Upon investigating one of my DRU's was missing showing size of 0 bytes. Since it has gone missing the raid has Updated, Verified and Validated all successfully with SMART enabled and email reporting working. I have tried restoring the disk although i knew it would fail for obvious reasons which it did reporting 'no files to restore'.

So what i would like to know is:

1) Why wasn't the missing DRU / drive reported?

2) Why were the verify / validate tasks reported as being successfull?

3) Why did the Update run when there was a DRU / drive missing?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Unfit for Purpose
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 09:22:53 am »
1. Details of your configuration would be appropriate.

2. Can you please also provide a screenshot of the following folder (C:\FlexRAID-Managed-Pool\class1_0\)?

3. If there is any unmounted folder in C:\FlexRAID-Managed-Pool\class1_0\, could you please provide a screenshot of the content of that folder? This is to check whether that unmounted folder contains any file.

When configuring for SMART, checking the option to skip the disk if in sleep mode could have the side effect of disks going unchecked for a long time.

Offline kracazol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 05:40:08 pm »
Thank you for your reply

1) Im not sure what info you are requesting, it is a snapshot raid with 5 DRU's and 1 PPU

2) there is no such folder

3) there is no such folder

The SMART is configured to check sleeping disks, not that this is particularly relevant, my main concern is that the loss of a disk went unreported.

I appreciate that you are trying to help and i would still like to get to the bottom of why flexraid failed, however i should mention that i have pretty much decided to move away from flexraid to something more robust. I have emailed the creator / vendor of flexraid and when they respond i will be asking for a refund based upon the failures i have detailed above, which having read the forums seem to be quite a common cause of complaint!

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 06:24:32 pm by kracazol »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 10:10:40 pm »
Thank you for your reply

1) Im not sure what info you are requesting, it is a snapshot raid with 5 DRU's and 1 PPU
Screenshots of your configuration.

Offline kracazol

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 03:32:35 pm »
I hope this is what you are after

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 05:32:07 am »
Nothing is showing (links are broken).

Offline kracazol

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 01:37:20 pm »
I strongly recommend that anyone reading this should avoid this product, not only does it not work at its most fundamental level (ie to protect your data) but the seller refuses to answer any emails regarding the matter.