Author Topic: Documentation - please update  (Read 482 times)

Offline Mondo

• View Profile
Documentation - please update
« on: September 25, 2017, 05:06:41 am »
I notice on this forum that quite often users are referred to the How To wiki articles. I have some major problems with this. The articles have not been updated since V2 of RAIDF. And they all lack critical detail - they are obvious examples of authors skipping vital information because they already know that information!

Here's an excellent example of a really badly written guide.

http://wiki.flexraid.com/2013/02/13/replacing-swapping-out-a-non-failed-drive-for-another-drive/

Replacing/Swapping out a non-failed drive for another drive
Last update on February 13, 2013   under FAQs, Real-Time RAID, Snapshot RAID, Tips
1. Hijack the drive to be removed from the RAID (the OUT drive) by giving it a drive letter
2. Copy the data from the OUT drive to the drive that will replace it (the IN drive)
3. Un-hijack the OUT drive by removing the added drive letter
4. Go to the FlexRAID Disk Manager and do a swap-only operation and swap with the IN drive
5. Run the Update task for sanity check

Hmm - step 4 is the critical part of this operation. But exactly what is the "Flexraid Disk Manager" - in V2.1 that no longer exists (least not on my system - used to reside in the System Control Panel). Instead you simply have a Data Configuration tab, a Run-time properties tab and a Command-execution tab. The only place the single most important function of Restore exists is in the advanced section of the command execution tab. There is nothing anywhere that says "swap-only".

If I click under the data configuration tab the same arrow symbol that meant "SWAP" under the old Disk Manager now simply opens and closes all the DRU and PPU configuration view. That's great, but not very helpful.

Do I just delete the drive from the PPU and replace it with the copied drive? Who wants to mess around with a RAID system if you don't know the consequences?

Norco RPC-4224 4U Rackmount Case (24 Hotswap Bays) | Supermicro X9SCM-F Motherboard (four PCI-E 8x slots @ 8x/8x/4x/4x)|4Gi RAM  | Core i3-2100 |2 x Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 SAS Controller | Corsair TX650v2 PSU | Currently 12 TB array, 2 TB parity | WHS 2011

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Documentation - please update
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 08:37:23 am »
@Mondo
That article is for users with a Cruise Control configuration.
You are in Expert Mode, and it does not apply since you already have full control of your disk in Expert Mode.

In Expert Mode, you will likely be referring to: http://wiki.flexraid.com/2011/10/03/tip-advanced-raid-re-configuration/

Offline Mondo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 11:05:21 pm »
@Brahim

Nice to see you back - I thought that might be the case but nowhere in the article does it say Cruise Control Mode only.

So I'm assuming after copying data all that is required to point to the new drive is:

rename|<UoR>|<oldPath>|<newPath>

In my case that would be:

rename|DRU8|L:|C:/Mount/SD09

And that command is entered in the advanced raid reconfiguration section.

Now we just need to add that information to the Wiki article or create a new one that specifically addresses Expert Mode. I'm not sure what your preference would be?
Norco RPC-4224 4U Rackmount Case (24 Hotswap Bays) | Supermicro X9SCM-F Motherboard (four PCI-E 8x slots @ 8x/8x/4x/4x)|4Gi RAM  | Core i3-2100 |2 x Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 SAS Controller | Corsair TX650v2 PSU | Currently 12 TB array, 2 TB parity | WHS 2011

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 08:33:54 am »
That's only if you are not able to mount the new drive on the old path.
Effectively, you could do this without any reconfiguration by simply mounting the new drive on the old path after copying.