Author Topic: Am I restoring incorrectly??? Files lost :(  (Read 179 times)

Offline Jerremy

• View Profile
Am I restoring incorrectly??? Files lost :(
« on: September 28, 2017, 07:56:59 am »
So I lost a drive a few days ago. The drive dropped from the array.

I then performed the following steps:

• Added a new drive to the system (I have bays free)
  • Had to reboot the system to see the drive
  • Went to the Web UI and selected the dropped drive
  • Pressed 'Restore' (array was online)
  • Web UI got stuck in "Performing action" and after a day I rebooted the system  :(
  • Storage pool didn't start (no idea why)
  • Decided to stop the raid array, had to reboot (again) because OS caching was enabled
  • I selected the dropped drive again and pressed 'Restore' again, this time the system started the restore process
  • After a day the raid said to me "restore successful"

Now the not-so-fun part, I'm not sure what failed in the above sequence (other than the web ui getting stuck at performing action), but all files that are on the dropped drive are no longer available. Hopefully I will be able to restore a lot of them from the broken drive. But I think I might have to accept that they are gone.

This is the second time this happend. The first time I thought I did the steps incorrectly, but this is not exactly rocket science. It's not like there's 10 buttons with "restore".

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Am I restoring incorrectly??? Files lost :(
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 10:09:05 am »
Did you do the restore with the array online or offline?
If online, you have to restart the array for the restored disk to become available.

If that does not resolve things, do check the Windows event viewer for potential file system errors. Depending on how the original disk failed, there can be cases of file system corruption. If the file system was affected in any way, stop the array, hijack the source disk in question (by bringing it online in Windows Disk Manager), and run a file system recovery tool on it.

Offline Jerremy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 06:31:30 am »
I first tried online mode, but it failed horribly (it kept saying "Performing action" or something similar). I had to reboot the system and after that I performed the action in offline mode and it worked.

I will see if running scandisk or something on the drive fixes anything.

Offline Jerremy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 06:34:25 am »
It didn't find any problems with the file system. I'm clueless as to what happend. The logs don't really seem to say much either.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 09:17:47 am »
Check out tools such as: https://www.easeus.com/resource/raw-files-recovery-software.htm

If the Windows event viewer logs have nothing, then it is truly a mystery.

Offline deewelch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 07:45:22 pm »
I think there is a file corruption happened if you can't save it online
Web Designer at Petstreetmall
"Pet Supplies for pet lovers everywhere! Petstreetmall is the only place you need for your pet supply needs. We only offer pet accessories of the highest quality for the Lowest Prices."

Offline Jerremy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 06:55:55 am »
I did a chkdsk on all DRU's (by giving them a drive letter in storage manager) and they were all fine. No idea what happened here.

The drive that crashed is still a bit accessible with a USB docking station so I'm moving back files.

Strangely enough, some of the files are generating an "Access Denied" when I try to 'create' (move) them to the array.

Looking with procmon, it seems that IRP_MJ_FILE_SYSTEM_CONTROL is returning "INVALID DEVICE REQUEST". See attached screenshot of all operations for a file that is failing.

I'm currently running a verify + sync and after that I'll reboot the system. See if it fixes anything.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 03:39:22 pm »
Is the error based on the destination or source?
As typical with Windows, there can be an issue of taking ownership of the files. It is all NTFS permission related. It is best to clean ownership information out of files that will be on a NAS.

Offline Jerremy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 02:54:09 am »
Edit: The 'write protection errors' or the other errors when trying to move the file seemed to be due to the source drive being corrupted.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 03:42:55 am by Jerremy »