Author Topic: Did I get the whole concept of FlexRAID wrong?  (Read 160 times)

Offline g.suess

• View Profile
Did I get the whole concept of FlexRAID wrong?
« on: November 12, 2017, 03:49:00 pm »
I setup a FlexRAID storage pool with DRU1 (1x 4 TB HDD), DRU2 (2x 2 TB HDD), DRU3 (1x 4 TB) and 1 PPU (4 TB). Recently, one of the 2 TB HDDs in DRU2 failed. I did a swap-and-restore operation, but FlexRAID reported an error: "too many failed devices = 2" and the maximum of failed devices would be 1. The second disk in DRU2 works just fine. What did I do wrong? Did I get the whole concept wrong?

Offline mephisto

• View Profile
Re: Did I get the whole concept of FlexRAID wrong?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 01:46:18 pm »
I setup a FlexRAID storage pool with DRU1 (1x 4 TB HDD), DRU2 (2x 2 TB HDD), DRU3 (1x 4 TB) and 1 PPU (4 TB). Recently, one of the 2 TB HDDs in DRU2 failed. I did a swap-and-restore operation, but FlexRAID reported an error: "too many failed devices = 2" and the maximum of failed devices would be 1. The second disk in DRU2 works just fine. What did I do wrong? Did I get the whole concept wrong?

Essentially, yes. It should work, but doesn't. Product hasn't so much as had a bug fix in 2 years now - it'd dead Jim. I had this same error, as did quite a few other folks on the forum. You can read more about it here: http://forum.flexraid.com/index.php/topic,49386.0.html

But the short version is, your data is gone, and there's nobody to help you out. I suggest you move all your data to something that is actually routinely bug fixed and and supported, where you can actually get help if you need it. A standard RAID card, Windows Storage Spaces, a Synology, etc - anything that is known to work, with a large community, etc.

Best of luck.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Did I get the whole concept of FlexRAID wrong?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 05:41:33 am »
The logs should have more hints on what's going on.
More likely than not, the RAID is out of sync with many deleted files on another DRU. See: http://wiki.flexraid.com/2011/10/18/understanding-the-limitations-of-snapshot-raid/