Author Topic: FlexRAID One (Roadmap)  (Read 758 times)

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: FlexRAID One (Roadmap)
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 06:03:05 pm »
Absolutely looking forward to this, and regardless of circumstances I intend on monetarily supporting you for your efforts! Brahim you are amazing!
Small aside...any chance of you porting EncFS (opensource linux-based encryption protocol) to your mounting platform? There are a couple options out there (Boxcryptor Classic was the most stable, but still lacks), but they all have issues with their virtual drive.
Thanks for the support.

Great idea! :)
Doing what EncFS does is actually fairly trivial to do. Similar to how Pool Level Restrictions are defined in tRAID pooling, we can have a similar setup for Pool Level Encryption. This way specific files matching an exact path or a regular expression would get encrypted.

Please add the feature request to http://bug.flexraid.com.

Offline amarshonarbangla

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2017, 06:15:24 pm »
When can we expect this to be released?

Offline FlyingShawn

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2017, 12:09:14 am »
The goal is to support existing licenses for a seamless migration to the new platform. Thus far, no-one has ever had to pay for product updates.

In light of this news, is there any chance of implementing some sort of "unified license" prior to FlexRAID One becoming available?  As in, granting existing users the ability to switch between RAID-F and tRAID without having to purchase a new license?

I've been a RAID-F user since before tRAID was even announced and over the last couple of years I've discovered that as I have expanded my array (now ~45TB) it has outgrown RAID-F's ability to reliably protect my data.  It's not that RAID-F is broken, just that I'm unable to keep such a large array completely static for long enough to complete a Verify task (which takes well over a day).  I've been considering making the switch to tRAID instead, but I don't really want to spend the money on a whole new license if my existing license will allow me to use the tRAID engine under the FlexRAID One banner.

On the other hand, I've also been around long enough to know better than to expect FlexRAID One to become available quickly, so I don't really want to spend the next year or two with my data minimally protected while I wait for it.

So, what do you think Brahim?  Can we work something out so licensed users can migrate between platforms during the limbo between the One announcement and when it is released?  Obviously the general terms of the licenses would remain the same (one instance of FlexRAID at a time[ie. can't run RAID-F and tRAID simultaneously] on one computer and locked into one OS [Windows or Linux]), but this would be a nice step towards the new unified-FlexRAID paradigm.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2017, 08:41:16 am »
When can we expect this to be released?
No ETA.  Just follow the progress of the roadmap. Once you hear of the first beta, then you'll know we are close. :P

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2017, 09:32:21 am »
In light of this news, is there any chance of implementing some sort of "unified license" prior to FlexRAID One becoming available?
Yes, there will be one.

As in, granting existing users the ability to switch between RAID-F and tRAID without having to purchase a new license?
That won't happen. Transparent RAID customers are paying more. So, there will be some sort of conversion.
Part of the goal of this unification is to clean up the licensing with only two types of licenses both with all features enabled (unlimited disks and limited disks).
That will get us to what you want (being able to switch between the RAID approaches or have different arrays each for the right type of data).

I've been a RAID-F user since before tRAID was even announced and over the last couple of years I've discovered that as I have expanded my array (now ~45TB) it has outgrown RAID-F's ability to reliably protect my data.  It's not that RAID-F is broken, just that I'm unable to keep such a large array completely static for long enough to complete a Verify task (which takes well over a day).  I've been considering making the switch to tRAID instead, but I don't really want to spend the money on a whole new license if my existing license will allow me to use the tRAID engine under the FlexRAID One banner.
Great that you are keeping an eye on the state of your data and realizing it having more dynamic data that isn't fitting for RAID-F.
A platform that let's you easily restructure your data as it morphs is what's being worked on.

Remember, I am the number one customer of FlexRAID. ;)
My personal production arrays include a RAID-F array, a tRAID array, and several sRAID arrays. As strange as it might sound, I build these solutions for me first. I created sRAID because I have a number of VMs that massively benefit from it. More on all this later.

On the other hand, I've also been around long enough to know better than to expect FlexRAID One to become available quickly, so I don't really want to spend the next year or two with my data minimally protected while I wait for it.
If you have been around long enough, then you know that - yes, I do take long hiatus - however, major improvements always follow my return. ;)

So, what do you think Brahim?  Can we work something out so licensed users can migrate between platforms during the limbo between the One announcement and when it is released?  Obviously the general terms of the licenses would remain the same (one instance of FlexRAID at a time[ie. can't run RAID-F and tRAID simultaneously] on one computer and locked into one OS [Windows or Linux]), but this would be a nice step towards the new unified-FlexRAID paradigm.
Don't be too frugal. Get a tRAID license now.  ;D
As stated before, there will be a unified license. The conversion process will be discussed at the appropriate time.
The focus for now is on delivering a product that's worthy of further discussion.