Author Topic: hanging on the restore pre-validation process  (Read 463 times)

Offline johnzm

• View Profile
Re: hanging on the restore pre-validation process
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2017, 04:46:19 pm »
so are you telling me there is no solution for my trouble? this is server class hardware, what else can manage 26 drives?
in this case is all professional level hardware incapable?

« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 08:39:55 am by johnzm »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2017, 02:16:30 pm »
so are you telling me there is no solution for my trouble? this is server class hardware, what else can manage 26 drives?
in this case is all professional level hardware incapable?
It just means that I have no idea as to the source of your latest issues.  :-[
It is not going to work for you if you cannot complete the parity creation trouble free. This step is the baseline to everything to ensue.

The only thing I can think of is that you have to run the Verify task to ensure that the parity is proper.
Ultimately though, you need a good clean/trouble free run of the Parity creation process.

I would start with a test setup using just folders. That is, setup a Snapshot RAID in Expert Mode and use folders and DRUs and another folder as PPU.
In that test setup, I would also test the Restore process by deleting the content from one of the DRU and restoring.
After, you have done that, then go back to the main array and re-create the parity with the expectation that it completes without any issue. If this cannot be completed, then there is some incompatibility that requires deeper troubleshooting.

Offline johnzm

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2018, 07:19:06 pm »
It just means that I have no idea as to the source of your latest issues.  :-[
It is not going to work for you if you cannot complete the parity creation trouble free. This step is the baseline to everything to ensue.

The only thing I can think of is that you have to run the Verify task to ensure that the parity is proper.
Ultimately though, you need a good clean/trouble free run of the Parity creation process.

I would start with a test setup using just folders. That is, setup a Snapshot RAID in Expert Mode and use folders and DRUs and another folder as PPU.
In that test setup, I would also test the Restore process by deleting the content from one of the DRU and restoring.
After, you have done that, then go back to the main array and re-create the parity with the expectation that it completes without any issue. If this cannot be completed, then there is some incompatibility that requires deeper troubleshooting.

yes, there is something amiss. PM inbound

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2018, 09:02:05 pm »
FYI, I did not get any PM.

Offline johnzm

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2018, 05:07:24 am »
just to bring this thread to a conclusion,

i was having RAID parity build, restore, and verify issues.

i was running FlexRAID-2.1-Final-2015-11-01,  and  a couple days ago i updated to FlexRAID-2.1-Final-2017-11-22.

after updating, the parity build went without issues. i am currently running a verify now to double check but i dont expect there to be any problems now that the parity built without issue.

i would suggest anyone running the older version i was, to update immediately to avoid any issues with parity.

Brahim,

are there currently any known issues with the version i am on?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Offline johnzm

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2018, 07:29:49 am »
ok here is the bottom of my log

[2018-01-10 23:03:48,299] INFO : Verify success: all bits match!
[2018-01-10 23:03:48,300] INFO : [verify] completed at: Wed Jan 10 23:03:48 EST 2018

so it must have been either corruption of my flexraid install, or the version had a bug that prevented all parity from working.

sadly i lost all of my previous parity which is very sad but now i know to never upgrade flexraid again

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2018, 12:19:34 pm »
Great that you have things sorted out.

As far as updating to newer releases, do check the change logs to see if that particular update affects you.