Author Topic: Crash during create  (Read 682 times)

Offline kebova1

• View Profile
Crash during create
« on: December 11, 2017, 09:24:22 pm »
I am having issues setting up a new array. I am a long time raid-f user but have recently stared a upgrade from a aging whs system using raid-f. I have approx 8tb of data that I have copied over from my old system. Whenever I run a create to build the parity my computer reboots within 30 mins. All I see in the log is a create starting and then the restart of flexraid after the pc reboots, so no error in between.

My new system is a i7-3770, Asus p8p67 rev3.1 B3, GSKILL F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL. I also have a 800w seasonic PSU and a cheap pci sata card running a external drive to backup my c:\ drive. I have 4 identical 4 tb wd hdd and 2 seagate 2tb drive in by array. I am using 1 of the 4tb as parity and the majority of my existing data is on 2 of the other 4tb drives.

Not sure where to look to see what is causing the reboots, help is greatly appreciated.

Offline cogliostrio

• View Profile
Re: Crash during create
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 01:08:47 am »
Have you tried running stress tests of your new PC? Computing parity is fairly intensive, so it sounds like something is giving in on your new setup.

Offline kebova1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 12:33:19 pm »
I have not run any stress tests yet. I did recreate a array with just 2 4tb drivea both empty and it worked, I just added a 2tb drive with about 200gb of data and am running a update now. If that goes OK I just plan to slowly move data and drives over until it fails again. Does this should like a good plan? What stress test programs would you suggest? I'm running Windows 10.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 02:08:57 pm »
Have you tried running stress tests of your new PC? Computing parity is fairly intensive, so it sounds like something is giving in on your new setup.
+1

@OP
Just get a new power supply. The one you have does not seem to be adequate for the load.

Offline kebova1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 04:32:12 pm »
Seasonic 850w not adequate?
http://a.co/1OHhz1L

Im only running 6 storage drives 1 os and 1 bacup drive. 30w x 8drives = 240w leaving 600w for everything else, I think that would be adequate. Please tell me if this logic is flawed.

Could you point out some free stress test software?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 05:31:24 pm »
Seasonic 850w not adequate?
http://a.co/1OHhz1L

Im only running 6 storage drives 1 os and 1 bacup drive. 30w x 8drives = 240w leaving 600w for everything else, I think that would be adequate. Please tell me if this logic is flawed.

Could you point out some free stress test software?
Ah, sorry I missed that. I saw cheap something and read that as the PSU. You were actually referring to your controller and not PSU.
Do a crash dump analysis: http://www.osronline.com/page.cfm?name=Analyze