Author Topic: What is the best way to move data from drive to drive?  (Read 542 times)

Offline litlgi74

• View Profile
What is the best way to move data from drive to drive?
« on: January 21, 2018, 09:48:33 am »
Hello

With the recent ability to rip UHD-BDs, I'd like to store these rips on my mediaserver. But the average file size goes into the 70GB+ range.

I have quite a few drives with 30GB to 50GBs of space available. I am pretty sure this is because of the 50GB reserve I have setup in Run-Time Properties. Because of this reserve, I now have around 570GBs of space that is unusable for any file larger than 50GB..

I'd like to make that 570GBs of space available for storage... Curious about the best way to do this. Obviously, I'd need to increase my reserve amount to 80GBs+. But I am not sure the best way to move data from one drive to another. How much space should I leave unused on each drive? Should I change anything else in Run-Time Properties? Etc?

I found this post from Brahim about "Moving data then removing drive from pool or vice versa?"

It is best that you delete the configuration and regain control of your disks, move the data, and recreate a new config with the remaining disks.
That would be the fastest as you would compute parity just once.

Any further guidance would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:51:56 am by litlgi74 »

Offline Aderalia

• View Profile
Re: What is the best way to move data from drive to drive?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 09:27:30 pm »
I can not help you with any FlexRaid specific Setting since im new to it myself, however asuming you havent splitt up your drives into diffrent file systems id highly recommend not to fill a disc to much since you will use performance to the point you cant even play your UHD files back without stuttering. (ive seen a 6TB WD Red drop to less than 10 MByte/s on its last 50GB of space).

Now back to your problem:
ID do exactly as Brahim said. Seems to most easiest way to me too. Just Locate smaller files and move them yourself, and than recreate your config.