Author Topic: Btrfs, bit rot, self healing, and tRAID  (Read 1923 times)

Offline EGOvoruhk

• View Profile
Btrfs, bit rot, self healing, and tRAID
« on: July 08, 2015, 08:05:52 am »
Does it work? Can it work?

I chose tRAID because of it's multi-parity system, and I chose Linux as the platform because of the bit rot/hash checking abilities of Btrfs. But after studying how tRAID works (presenting a single drive to the OS), and then how Btrfs self healing works (hash checking, and repairing via parity data on the RAID), it seems like the two cannot be paired. It would seem that even though I would be using Btrfs, the system would only see the single tRAID drive formatted as such, and thus wouldn't be able to do any type of self healing since it wouldn't know what to compare against. Or am I wrong? Is there some sort of kernel magic between the file system and tRAID driver going on behind the scenes, similar to how Windows Server handles healing with ReFS and Storage Spaces?

I had been waiting for the next tRAID version for kernel 3.19 to drop, but I figure if this isn't supported, I may as well just use tRAID with Windows and do a pseudo-Storage Spaces (without the actual Storage Spaces and self healing, as I use mismatched drive sizes which makes it not play nice), since that seems to be the lead development platform, and has a larger user base (for when I hit walls and need forum help)

Thanks

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Btrfs, bit rot, self healing, and tRAID
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 11:50:48 am »
You can use whatever file system your OS support. So, yes you can use Btrfs if you are comfortable with its stability on Linux. Obviously, you won't get those features that you only get through its RAID.