Author Topic: RAID Failure - multiple disks - different errors  (Read 453 times)

Offline bytchslappa

• View Profile
RAID Failure - multiple disks - different errors
« on: January 25, 2018, 12:16:37 am »
Hi All

I am experiencing a weird RAID failure - double disk with a single PPU - one disk has died - flexraid has not acknowledged this and failed the drive and a second drive is reporting that its file system is RAW rather than NTFS.

I first noticed an issue when i started to move some data from the machine across the network - the the file transfer would just stop - so i rebooted the server - only to find the storage pool would not start - there was no indication of any dropped disks - but looking at the logs - it was failing to work with the partition containing DRU1.  Disk Manager or diskpart had issues accessing this disk - thus have decided its busted - there are NO smart errors being reported by the disk.  I am still a little unsure it was DRU1 since also missing DRU3.

The Second disk is reporting as RAW and not NTFS - have no idea which failed first - as again - it was not dropped by Flexraid.

At this point - I am managing to perform a data recovery using a low level scan tool to recover the data from this RAW disk - so that data appears to be intact - so thinking this could be a recoverable situation here! (a benefit of how flexraid stores its data i guess!!) - I am hoping this drive is DRU1 due to it being very quick to access and seeing a failed RAW partition.

So thinking I can put this drive back as DRU1 - start the storage pool (hopefully) - override the config - and restore DRU3 to a new drive - what do you think of the possibilities of this working?  Any extra steps that might be needed?

Thanks
David S

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: RAID Failure - multiple disks - different errors
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 06:26:47 pm »
Screenshots will help to fully understanding the current system state.