Author Topic: RAID-F Friendly Picture Manager  (Read 673 times)

Offline Aderalia

• View Profile
RAID-F Friendly Picture Manager
« on: February 16, 2018, 06:47:51 pm »
Hello!
I want to switch my storage system in the near future from a OMV+SnapRAID System to Ubuntu + RAID-F, manly because i got tired of SnapRAIDs way of handling parity and OMV plugins net getting updated.

My Storage Pool holds manly "archive" footage that needs to be browsable, tagged and accesable. And to make sure it stays that way i want to go with RAID-F for Bitrot protection (not necesserly for disc failure, since i do have a full Backup on a seperate machine anyway).

But since RAID-F is File based (like SnapRAID), i cant just have millions of Photos in my pool cant i? So i am searching for a piece of software that enables my to pack these images together to reduce file count.

At the Moment im using .rar archives and ACDSee Pro 10 (the only one i could find that can handle rar). But this programm got much slower over the last versions and the devs havent realy put any focus on the  Management part of the software in years.

So what im looking for is basicaly a image manager that either copies all my images into its own database, or is able to work with archives, and can access said archives or database over the network.

I want to be able to tag them with my own tags, and also compare images automaticly to prevent duplicates based on image content and not just file name and meta data...

Has anybody come across anything with that kind of features? I would realy like to ditch ACDSee for a change. Someone once told my that apples integrated photo manager does exactly that, however i dont use a mac (Windows is my main OS, but i do have a dual boot Linux aswell).

I would greatly aprreciate your input! And a big thanks for reading my post to the end :)

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: RAID-F Friendly Picture Manager
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 11:32:12 am »
You will do best to trial RAID-F or tRAID and see how they each work out for you. It is easy to get your data back if not sold on either (no data migration needed).
Both can handle millions of files just fine. So, give it a go and see how things perform for your system first hand.

Offline Aderalia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 06:57:48 pm »
Thanks for your answer Brahim :)

I think there will be no way around testing on full scale :( However SnapRAID coundt handle my file count. My biggest data drive is 6 TB my entire setup is 2*6TB + 3*4 TB + 1*3TB as data drive and one 8TB as parity, yet SnapRAID told me i need another 1,7 TB for parity, i was told thats because of my high filecount. And i realy like to have silent Error detection and repair, so tRAID wouldnt be working for me...

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 10:01:30 pm »
RAID-F handles high files count just fine.
Why wouldn't there be a way to test on a full scale? Or are you over-thinking it?
Just quick-format the parity drive, setup RAID-F, build parity, and see how it works. If it does not work for your setup, just uninstall and quick format the parity and you are on your way.