Author Topic: New trial of TRaid - All previous data gone!  (Read 820 times)

Offline PizzaPete1958

• View Profile
New trial of TRaid - All previous data gone!
« on: February 27, 2018, 01:49:00 pm »
I have been bitten several times over that past years while using Microsoft Storage Pools/Spaces in both Server 2016 now Windows 10.  But at least once every 2 weeks it hiccups and everything disappears for a few days.  Sometimes it never returns.

My son told me about flexRAID so I thought I'd give it a try.

Over the past week before flexRAID was installed I was trying to hurry and move the most important of my data to QTY (12) 4TB drives.  During the transfer I learned about flexRAID and read that it could be installed even if there is data existing on the hard drives.

After installing and booting up the RAID volume never appears.  I have tried over and over, rebooting and everything.  But after rebooting I'm left with activating using the temporary trial mode then nothing again.  I've shampooed, rinsed, and repeated so many times that I don't have any hair left and am wondering if I made a big mistake trying out this software.  I guess I'll know if after someone tells me what I could do to save me data and as a bonus, get flexRAID running correctly within the blanking 21 day trial period!

Right now, I've purchased R-Tools to recover my data from the Storage Pool and will save that onto media somewhere else.  I hope I didn't loose all of my important tax documents, birthday pictures and videos.

BTW, the verifications sure make me brush up on my math skills after I'm so aggravated that I can't see straight.

Thanks,

Terry

Offline cogliostrio

• View Profile
Re: New trial of TRaid - All previous data gone!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 03:06:49 pm »
Right now its difficult to understand what might have gone wrong, as your explanation is very incoherent.

Have you tried this?
http://wiki.flexraid.com/2014/07/27/transparent-raid-quick-setup-guide/

Try writing down stepwise what you have done, where does it fail, add some pictures of what you see in your setup etc, then you might get better feedback.

Offline PizzaPete1958

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 05:55:51 pm »
Sorry 'bout that.  I wrote that while my emotions were running high.  After all, I am facing the loss of all of my important family pictures, audio, and videos.

I used the "Transparent RAID on Windows – Quick Setup Guide".

Before let me explain my system.

From 2008 to 2018 I had an HP Proliant DL380 G6 with 48TB of drive space.  From 2008 to 2012 the OS was Server 2008 R2 64bit.  The raid back then was 30TB of 3TB drives using a single spanned volume.  In 2015 I had 5 Sans Digital TR4UM Tower RAID enclosures filled with 3TB drives but instead of spanned volumes I configured with striped volumes in case of a drive failure.  That ran smoothly.  In 2016 Seagate's 4TB 2.5" drives were more reliable.  I bought 12 of them and into the one server they went.

After upgrading to Windows Server 2016 I began using Storage Space.  In little time the Storage Space became a big headache because it would lose the connection to random drives at random times.  When Code42 announced ending CrashPlan I decided to try something different since backup software, both cloud and non-cloud based software was expensive for a home user like me.  I built a new Windows 10 computer that holds 12 2.5" 4TB HHDs frontward accessible, 12 3.5" HDDs, 4 2.5" HDDs, and 2 NVMe's.

Now loaded with 24 4TB hard drives I proceeded to restore my data.  Moving the in stages.  Step 1, build a 3 drive array.  Step 2, move data off the original drives. Step 3, remove the HDD and add to the new storage pool.  Repeat until all data is moved to the new Windows 10 computer and no HDDs left with original data.

This lasted for 3 weeks then one day I got a warning that the OS lost communication with one of the pooled drives.  No, I could still see it and it could be accessed.  Even used Hard Drive Sentinel to send a report to their R&D to see if they could explain.  They were totally baffled.  The cables, controllers, and drives were all functioning 100%.

A few days later another drive followed the first drive and left me with no redundancy.  This is when I started finding threads from other users that Windows 10 dumped their data too.  Some people said Storage Space for Windows 10 isn't ready for prime time yet.  And How!

My son bought flexRAID a few years ago and persuaded me to try flexRAID.  All of the reviews and comments seems to favor the idea.  I just needed the 21 day trial to make certain it's what I wanted to do before I shell out $99 for a license.

Read the Quick Setup Guide and I was off to the races!  Seemed easy enough.

I performed each step.  They were clear until I got to step 9.  Since I hadn't bought a license yet I choose Request Trial License then click next through step 11.  I read somewhere on the flexRAID site that disks could be used even if one was pulled out and installed into another computer.  The data could be read.  This was remarkable technology I thought.  Armed with that information no where in step 11 did it say that the Web UI could instruct the RAID engine to automatically format disks as needed, it prefers for users to complete such tasks through their operation system's disk management tool.  This is to avoid the potential user mistake of assigning the wrong disk as parity disks and have the data on those disks being overwritten with parity data accidentally.

Moved on to step 12 which didn't apply.

Step 13 went easy.  Just chose the disks that were the data disks and the parity disk.

Clicked the Finish button in step 14 and waited.  I never saw any instructions to reboot to continue taking effect.  I found that in a forum post.  So I rebooted.

Even after rebooting my screen doesn't look like the one seen in step 15.  There isn't an arrow next to This Computer.

This is where I'm at:
No arrow next to This Computer
Arrow next to Plugins that drops down but none of the contents, Plugin Develper Guide, Wiki, Forum, Bug Tracker, Forensic, has anything to do with seeing a new RAID drive letter and the chance of ever seeing my precious pictures again.   :-[

Offline Zach

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 07:52:11 pm »
Kind of a shot in the dark here, but I was just lurking the forum

... it sounds like you think it wiped your drives?   Have you actually tried pulling one out and looking at it on another system?

If you used storage pooling, is it possible that because there was a hiccup in the setup, the drives are just not visible / accessible while the storage pool is turned on ?

I only played with pooling briefly, years ago, and I remember that it hid the original drive volumes, if I recall correctly.

But I could be way off base here.. like I said, I'm just lurking, mulling over whether or not I want to resume using flexraid  (I stopped for reasons unrelated to the software)

Offline cogliostrio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 05:43:38 am »

Even after rebooting my screen doesn't look like the one seen in step 15.  There isn't an arrow next to This Computer.

This is where I'm at:
No arrow next to This Computer
Arrow next to Plugins that drops down but none of the contents, Plugin Develper Guide, Wiki, Forum, Bug Tracker, Forensic, has anything to do with seeing a new RAID drive letter and the chance of ever seeing my precious pictures again.   :-[

I get your stressed, nobody likes loosing files, but again, please provide a picture of what you are actually seeing. Then we wont have to speculate and guess :)
It could be that you cannot connect the GUI to the backend?  But again, pictures would clear that up.

I doubt your drives are wiped, I dont even think thats possible. But if you think data is missing, it is easy to check as Zach mentions. Stop your server, pull a HDD out (not a PPU), and connect it to another windows PC. Can you then see your files?

What is important to know is that state of your HDDs prior to starting the tRaid installation. If you have copied all of your data correctly, all your drives would be visible in windows explorer as any other HDD (prior to tRaid installation).

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 06:33:34 pm »
@PizzaPete1958
As others have stated, more clarity is needed on your current tRAID setup. As always, screenshoots will provide a lot of details.
So:
1. try providing screenshots of your current tRAID configuration.
2. focus on what specifically isn't working on the tRAID side (leave your previous hardware issues out)

Offline PizzaPete1958

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 04:24:20 pm »
My son recommended to pull the drives and insert them into another workstation computer.  I did and all of the data is still there!  :D

Windows 10 Storage Space is still running on the first QTY (14) 4TB hard drives.  So I moved the data to them and will try testing when I get some time.

Question: Can I start out small and add drives one at a time?  If so, I will build a new flexRaid pool.  Then set a single drive up at a time on the Windows Storage Space.  After the data has been reduced to 0 usage on that single HDD, I'll pull the drive and add it to the new flexRaid pool.  Rinse and repeat.

Trouble is, I started this whole testing phase so long ago that my trial period has expired.  Will anyone at flexRaid be willing to extend my trial so I fee comfortable using it an moving away from Microsoft's Storage Space?  If not, I'll understand and will move on and look for another alternative.

Thanks to all of the kind folks who have answered my questions and help me on this forum.  I really hope that I don't have to try something different.  There are so many talented and kind individuals here that I don't know if I'd have the same experience if I moved to a different RAID.

Kind regards,

Terry

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 11:19:24 pm »
Great that you are back on track.

You can start the tRAID array with a smaller set of disks and expand as you go. See: http://wiki.flexraid.com/2013/06/27/raid-expansion-in-transparent-raid/
Note however that, rather than doing many RAID Expansions, it will be simpler to migrate your data unprotected to individual drives first and then create the tRAID array using those drives in one go. Basically, RAID Expansions/Contractions have a certain risk in all RAID systems. So, you want to minimize how often you do them.

You can request for your trial to be extended by emailing sales at flexraid dot com. You will need to provide your trial ID in the email. The trial ID is provided to you in the message when a trial request is denied on the Web UI.