Author Topic: Can't run Verify Sync, failing with obscure error.  (Read 183 times)

Offline e.Blue

• View Profile
Can't run Verify Sync, failing with obscure error.
« on: August 02, 2018, 10:53:07 am »
Good news is that my tRAID is up and appears to be running fine. However, for the past several months, I have not been able to complete a 'Verify + Sync'. I keep receiving an obscure error about a disk error. None of the disk are dropped, I had to expand the RAID a couple of times and even replace a failed disk. Everything seems fine but I still can't complete the Verify Sync. I'm hesitant to just attempt to recreate parity, if it thinks I may have a failing disk. The error also has contradictory info about which disk is causing the error. It states Failed UoR position = 1 and then Failed UoR ID = 100000005. Which do I look at and what do I do?

Regards,
-e

Offline efishta

• View Profile
Re: Can't run Verify Sync, failing with obscure error.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 05:01:13 pm »
Try looking in the Windows Event Viewer for bad blocks, run a SMART full drive test from the FlexRAID WebUI on any/all disks (these can be run concurrently) and run something like hdsentinel (I <3 this software) for in-depth interpretations of SMART data.

If you get negative results from the above tests, it's time to locate the traid disk that corresponds with the failing drive and run a filesystem check on it (or a chkdsk cmd if old school). I'm not sure what the best strategy is afterwards, since the software is quite involved with power user options and alternatives to doing just about any action, but personally I'd manually fail the disk through the WebUI (after enabling the override), add a letter to the traid mirror of the failed drive (hijacking it) and copying the files you want to a temporary location.

Afterwards, recreate the array, and recreate parity. The risk of failure is definitely there but it's a lot lower than having a faulty disk in the mix, as you mentioned you might suspect.

The big problem is that FlexRAID traid is not designed as a click-and-go solution, and it lacks in documentation severely (who ever heard of randomly updated wiki posts instead of properly sourced documentation in some more usable and portable professional form... say... PDF?) Brahim never pretended otherwise, either, since from the get-go he was explicit about the direction of the products he was developing - they were for administrator/power user types, nothing less. There is no hand holding (perhaps outside the initial wizard) for maintenance and recovery attempts. You are expected to read the sparse documentation and make the best of it.

It's clear that this was an awesome attempt by a talented developer that has reached an EOL due to lack of updates and support. No other product I am aware of has attempted this type of featureset (real time raid over existing standard fileysystem, along with pooling capabilities...) so it's a shame.

Anyway, it's likely that the best way forward is to pursue other pooling and raid formats that allow using existing filesystems on drives. SnapRAID and flexraid raid-f are the two alternatives available. Well... Stablebit drivepool allows pooling and data protection through mirroring, but it's not really a parity protection method. And none of the previous 3 provide real time raid capabilities.

Otherwise I'd recommend something like UnRAID if you have temporary space to move your data to while recreating them in a separate filesystem. Supposed to be an amazing product.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 06:29:16 am by efishta »