Author Topic: How Can I replace a PPU drive?  (Read 5791 times)

Offline tonyh88

• View Profile
How Can I replace a PPU drive?
« on: February 20, 2012, 11:40:28 pm »
I installed FlexRAID-2.0-Public-Beta14 and set up Cruise Control Snapshot Raid working fine. Now I want to change one of my 2TB DRU to 3TB. In doing so I need also to change the 2TB PPU to 3TB PPU. I have experienced no problem in adding or removing DRUs, but how do I replace PPU, since there is no such options for the only PPU except Restore/Swapout? To play safe I have already copied the 1.8T PPU data to the new 3T disk outside the pool (took 16 hrs). First I tried the most simple but maybe foolish way by physically replacing the old PPU with new PPU having the same drive letter and disk name, tricking flexraid (service turned off) to think nothing happened. Of course it didn't work. Perhaps size and other things matter. Then I tried to Swapout the "missing" PPU with the selected data-copied drive outside the pool. I chose the last option: Do NOT restore - Just swap out the drives. Flexraid asked me to let it stop the pool. OK go ahead. After processing a few seconds came this message: "Coding error (please report to developer) Could not find DRU to replace on restore!" Why DRU? I am trying to replace PPU! As a result the pool can't be manually restart until reboot, and the destination PPU drive disappeared, probably lockup in C:\Flexraid managed-pool.

Can someone please help me with the course to take? If possible, not taking time to restore PPU data again, becuase it is still good. Putting the old PPU back everything is normal, just can't expand.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How Can I replace a PPU drive?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 01:02:31 pm »
Yes.

The fastest way is to delete your RAID config (which will give you all your drives back), copy the data from the old PPU to the new, recreate the RAID config, initialize using the existing parity data when prompted.

Offline tonyh88

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 11:07:41 pm »
Thank you for your reply.

I recreated the config, initialize using the existing data copied from old PPU, but there is still the error of: "invalid handle value error=2 for path\\?\C:\FlexRaid-managed pool\class1_01\\....at java.lang.void (unknown source)". I guess the PPU data (1.8T) might be corrupt during the copying process (not bit by bit). So now I have to initilize NOT using the existing data and let flexraid erase everything and recompute parity from the beginning.

Offline bergang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 03:49:45 pm »
Deleting the config and reinitializing worked perfect for me using PPU1 as the config source. I replaced PPU2 and PPU3 which were 4TB drives with 10TB drives (PPU1 is a 6TB drive and will eventually get swapped out and cycled into the data pool like the other two just did).

In order this is the procedure I used ...

1. delete config from FlexRAID
2. rsync PPU2 to new PPU2
3. rsync PPU3 to new PPU3
4. remapped the mount points so new PPU2 and new PPU3 were mounting in the correct normal places
5. I use Greyhole for pooling so I stopped Greyhole
6. I then rsynced my smallest drive in the pool to old PPU2 (now new DRU8) which was 1TB
7. I then rsynced my second smallest drive in the pool to old PPU3 (now new DRU17) which was 2 TB
8. remapped the mount points so new DRU8 and new DRU17 mounted in the correct spot and the old DRU8 and old DRU17 did not mount at all
9. shutdown and physically moved the disks around in the 24 bay hot swap chasis so they are in the correct physical locations (DRU1-21 then PPU1-3) removing old 1TB and 2TB disks
10. powered back up and told Greyhole I replaced Storage8 (DRU8) and Storage17 (DRU17)
11. let Greyhole complete its check
12. Create a new FlexRAID config reinitializing based on PPU1
13. Run quick validate
14. Run update
15. Recreate scheduled tasks for the config