Author Topic: How do I identify a UoR?  (Read 645 times)

Offline Vayne

• View Profile
How do I identify a UoR?
« on: August 31, 2018, 01:49:08 pm »
I'm trying to troubleshoot some problems with my tRAID setup, which I'm fairly sure come down to one or more disks having died, however none are reporting as failed. The array consists of 12x 3tb drives, 2 as PPUs and 10 as DRUs, and one of the problems is that when I try and verify or sync the array it almost immediately fails with the following:

Code: [Select]
Error Code = -1073741662

Operation aborted!

Operation aborted due to disk error!

Failed UoR position = 7

Failed UoR ID = 1000000008

Since that looks like an obvious place to start checking drive integrity, I'd really like to find which drive is in UoR position 7 so I can run a more detailed analysis on it and potentially replace it, but I'm not sure how I find out which drive that is. Can anyone help?

Offline Skirge01

• View Profile
Re: How do I identify a UoR?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 02:55:26 pm »
I know we're on our own here, so I'm hoping reviving this thread might bring some additional eyes to it.  I'm having an identical problem and I can't figure out any way to determine what the UoR position or UoR ID of any of my disks is.

Anyone?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 02:58:23 pm by Skirge01 »

Offline cogliostrio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 09:09:36 am »
Depending on how you have labeled your drives under "display names" in the configuration. You can expand "physical drives", and look under "open/view details", and then again under the "smart details". There you can find the serial number of your drives, which is usually printed on your physical drive.

Offline Skirge01

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 10:48:04 am »
Thanks for the reply, but that's not the number I'm looking for.  I'm looking for the same kind of info Vayne was:

Failed UoR position = 7

Neither of those are serial numbers.  tRAID assigns these numbers somehow, somewhere, but I've been unable to find them referenced anywhere in the application.

Offline adridolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 07:44:27 am »
I think negative error codes are OS error codes in FlexRaid. Maybe there is some info in the Event Log (if Windows) or similar?

Offline cogliostrio

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 09:25:05 am »

Failed UoR position = 7

This tells you the Unit of Recovery number. In other words, the disk that it has found an issue with. Since it counts from 0, it is disk number 8 in this case. You now need to find the correlation to your physical HDD.

As mentioned here, it is a good idea to give the drives meaningful names to be able to find the physical drive from the virtual numbering.
Quote from: Preparing & Registering disks for Transparent RAID
A pop-up is then presented for you to enter a label for the disk.
Tip: Always enter a meaningful display name that let’s you easily identify the physical disk within your system.

So if this is done during setup, it should be fairly straight forward to find the correct drive.

Offline Skirge01

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 02:07:44 pm »
Thanks for that info.  Here's what my setup looks like.  What would UoR 2 be on my system?  If you can tell me that, I should be able to figure out how the numbering works and can rename accordingly.  I named them so I knew where they physically were, but didn't know that tRAID assigned some other numbering system.

Offline cogliostrio

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 08:34:02 am »
I think it numbers the drives according to the drive letter, and if it is passed through. Which seams to correspond with this image from the linux guide. From this i would assume that sdb (DRU1) would be disk 0, and then count upwards from that. But if you have renamed yours (and maybe added new ones), it might be a bit tricky.

Offline Skirge01

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 10:30:21 am »
That would mean that my Disk 13 might be UoR 0.  :D

Offline pooler1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 01:33:29 pm »
I don't even know what is going on.  What is a UoR?  I didn't realize it could be used to find a problem disk.  IN the documentation UoR is this:
Unit of Risk (UoR):

In a traditional RAID sense, a UoR is a physical hard disk. In FlexRAID, a UoR is typically a physical hard disk, but it can also be other data sources depending on the FlexRAID solution being used.
A Unit of Risk (UoR) is any unit which failure can be recovered from. That unit can be a file, a folder, a partition, a drive, a media disc, a standard RAID volume, a network share, a LUN, or a set or combination of them.
Put another way, a UoR is anything that contains data that one wants failure protection from.
i still have no idea what that means in terms of traid.  It sounds like to me a UoR is my parity disk.
Anyway, I've been searching for documentation for UoR because of this thread.  Barely found anything.  I have no idea what UoR is.

About your specific message.  I've had this happen to me before, on the same pool I have a bug report on right now (maybe made it yesterday).  From my experience, what happened was my pool had a caviar black drive in it, and i replace it with an hgst drive and it worked.  For whatever reason, it didn't like that drive (its a good drive).  It was hard figuring it out because i thought the drive was bad, then replaced with another of the same model, maybe did that twice, then tried a different model and that finally was ok.

Offline Skirge01

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 02:15:21 pm »
I hear ya, pooler!  That's why this discussion got brought back up.  I had a similar message and couldn't figure out how to find how my disks were assigned their UoR to definitively know which UoR is which when those messages pop up.  Seems the answer is not well-known.

Offline pooler1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 02:22:42 pm »
I hear ya, pooler!  That's why this discussion got brought back up.  I had a similar message and couldn't figure out how to find how my disks were assigned their UoR to definitively know which UoR is which when those messages pop up.  Seems the answer is not well-known.
the whole hard drive serial number think drives me bananas.  Every freaking tool for windows out there will NEVER do it in a good way. THeyll show you the serial number, but not the disk #.  another will show you the disk# and the disk model, but not the serial #.  like maddening.
good thing the traid interface will show you the disk number AND the serial number.  THat helps.

But then this issue with trying to find a problem disk in a pool.  Kind of hard.  I"m in the middle of a troubleshooting myself.  I feel like some files on a particular drive is slowing down the entire pool to a crawl.  i want to replace the drive, but i just have no way of knowing what really is the problem, which drive, etc.  And why also?  anyway. 

Offline Skirge01

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 02:38:47 pm »
I at least figured out WHAT a UoR is.  It's the parity, as you mentioned.  I looked at the screenshot cogliostrio posted and noticed additional columns on the right, so I went searching.  You can add a UoR column to that display by clicking on the dropdown arrow on the header columns.  While it doesn't tell you the actual UoR number (GRRRRRR!!!!), it does show that the PPUs are NOT UoRs at all; only the DRUs are.

Offline pooler1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 08:30:23 pm »
lol nice.  i did not know about that column feature.  LOL at it just saying if something is a ppu or not.  i can see why its hidden by default!