Author Topic: FlexRAID \ T-RAID Support?  (Read 858 times)

Offline TheCodeMan

• View Profile
FlexRAID \ T-RAID Support?
« on: September 06, 2018, 10:55:33 am »
I would like to hear from Brahim or someone from FlexRAID regarding the expected level of support moving forward. As a long-time user of the product, I am now in need of more licenses but very hesitant to pull the trigger based on the lack of response to questions posted in the forum. I think at this point, users that have stuck with FlexRAID through the years deserve an straight answer on the status of the product moving forward as well as the level of response that can be expected. I understand that user problems posted in the forum may not necessarily be addressed in a timely manner, but the lack of response for days when there is a licensing problem is just plain unacceptable. This product is not exactly cheap and with the purchase, users should be entitled to a basic level of support. We are entrusting our data to your product and are paying money for it. If there are too many users and not enough employees to provide support, just let us know. I think we are entitled to that at least.

Based on the response, I will either be moving forward with additional copies of T-RAID or moving onto another product as others have clearly done here in the forums. As much as I want to continue using T-RAID, I can't in good conscious spend more money on it without some kind of response.

Offline e.Blue

• View Profile
Re: FlexRAID \ T-RAID Support?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 03:58:34 pm »
If you look at his posting history, the last posting made by Brahim was over three months ago. At this point, I'm kind of concerned that we may all now be running Abandon-ware.

I really hope that I am wrong and that Brahim is okay...at least.

-e.B

Offline TheCodeMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 07:26:18 pm »
I'm really curious if paid premium support users are still getting support when needed. Supposedly, they will receive an answer on support requests within 24 hours. Are there any premium support subscribers who can comment on this?

I'm just really shocked at the lack of response, knowing you have customers knocking at the door with money. It almost seems like Brahim may have been the only person coding and supporting the product. That's really too bad because I am very happy with T-RAID.

Offline TheCodeMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 08:56:01 pm »
Correction: I was very happy with T-Raid.

Offline MileySite

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 02:37:42 am »
ht answer on the status of the product moving forward as well as the level of response that can be expected. I understand that user problems posted in the for

Offline TheCodeMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 08:24:38 am »
Switched to StableBit DrivePool and SnapRAID with Elucidate GUI and couldn't be happier.

Offline Skirge01

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 03:20:12 pm »
Sadly, this is par for the course with Brahim.  He disappears for extended periods of time every so often; no clue why.  As long as my install keeps working, this isn't an issue for me.  If something better comes along, I'll certainly look into it, however.

Offline TheCodeMan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 01:26:25 pm »
@Skirge01

I would argue that SnapRAID is much better. First, it's free so you can't beat the price. There are no worries about having to re-purchase a license if you upgrade hardware. I noticed when I moved from FlexRAID to T-RAID I started having issues with streaming. I would experience many dropouts and buffering. Even with using all of the recommended performance options, I would see occasional issues. All of that went away with SnapRAID.

SnapRAID is fast! It does one thing and it does it well. RAID syncs for me are almost twice as fast as FlexRAID was. I converted six installs of over 130TB in just under one week. The process is so very similar to using the old FlexRAID, that moving from one to the other is seamless.

SnapRAID does nothing funky with your drives. They all stay online untouched. They are not hidden or duplicated. SnapRAID and the Elucidate GUI coupled with Drivepool for me was the perfect solution. It cost me $100 to buy all six DrivePool installs.

I really wish the above wasn't the case. I've been with FlexRAID and T-RAID for years and swore by the product. But quite honestly the level of service is unforgivable for a paid product!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 01:28:49 pm by TheCodeMan »

Offline smarty12345

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 04:43:56 am »
@Skirge01

I would argue that SnapRAID is much better. First, it's free so you can't beat the price. There are no worries about having to re-purchase a license if you upgrade hardware. I noticed when I moved from FlexRAID to T-RAID I started having issues with streaming. I would experience many dropouts and buffering. Even with using all of the recommended performance options, I would see occasional issues. All of that went away with SnapRAID.

SnapRAID is fast! It does one thing and it does it well. RAID syncs for me are almost twice as fast as FlexRAID was. I converted six installs of over 130TB in just under one week. The process is so very similar to using the old FlexRAID, that moving from one to the other is seamless.

SnapRAID does nothing funky with your drives. They all stay online untouched. They are not hidden or duplicated. SnapRAID and the Elucidate GUI coupled with Drivepool for me was the perfect solution. It cost me $100 to buy all six DrivePool installs.

I really wish the above wasn't the case. I've been with FlexRAID and T-RAID for years and swore by the product. But quite honestly the level of service is unforgivable for a paid product!

I have done a similar thing myself. I cant fault Snapraid. Flexraid would always say it was up to date etc. But ever 2-3 months I would do a full validate and it would find issues with files that were (and still are over a year later) perfectly fine. I got sick of rebuilding the whole thing every few months on the off chance I needed to recover something and it wouldn't work.
With my setup the only difference being that I still use Felxraid drive pooling from my raid-F package. I found All the other pooling applications overy complicated and I didn't like their way of "balancing" the data over drives. Even the ones that said they allowed you to manage it yourself tried to do "clever" things with it. Flexraid I found was simpler to use and I could do whatever I liked with the data without it interfering.

Its a shame, but after 4-5 years of using flexraid I had to change as it just was never reliable.

Offline TheCodeMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 11:56:06 am »
@smarty12345

StableBit Drivepool allows you to completely disable drive balancing. I did that specifically because I'm using SnapRAID and I don't want to have to constantly run a sync. I could have done the same with FlexRAID pooling but I'll be perfectly honest, I wanted to remove all traces of the program from my hard drive. I'm really put out with how much I've spent on it and the total lack of support.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 11:58:20 am by TheCodeMan »

Offline Skirge01

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 09:29:38 am »
@Skirge01

I decided to check out SnapRAID again because of this.  However, it appeared that you were comparing SnapRAID with tRAID because you never mentioned RAID-F, specifically.  SnapRAID works like RAID-F as a snapshot RAID, so I would expect performance to be more in line with RAID-F.  That said, I used RAID-F and couldn't live with a snapshot RAID, so it looks like SnapRAID is also out of the equation.

As I said, if something better than tRAID comes along (or my tRAID install dies), I'm willing to check it out.  Still waiting...

Offline TheCodeMan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 02:21:47 pm »
Yes, that is correct. My comparisons mentioned FlexRAID(RAID-F) and T-RAID. I have used them both. I preferred T-RAID since it was real-time but I couldn't work through the performance issues. RAID-F is definitely the right comparison to make with SnapRAID. I understand the need for real-time RAID, but in my case it was worth giving up the real-time RAID benefits for a product that provides me with some level of assurance. After two failures with T-RAID and lost data, I just lost confidence. It required too much maintenance and log checking for me. Don't get me wrong, I still keep backups of my most important data, but since my data really only changes a couple of times a week, I just run the sync weekly, and I can rest knowing my data is secure. The logging facility with SnapRAID is excellent.

And to your point, that's exactly what happened to me. One of my servers died and I had to replace components, negating the original activation key. Unable to get any response from FlexRAID, I really had no choice but to move on. I decided to move everything at once as a result.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 02:25:48 pm by TheCodeMan »

Offline smarty12345

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 03:43:53 pm »
For me T-Raid and its peers was always overkill for my usage and I seldom update more than a few items a couple of times a week. So snapshot was perfect. There were several other products (like UnRaid) that can do the same or better. But I'm just not comfortable with Linux and its derivatives enough to feel comfortable dealing with issues should they arise. What I liked about Flexraid was the GUI. Though oddly I do find snapraid's command lines easier to configure that Flexraid was in the end. lol. 

@TheCodeMan
I must have just missed something obvious with stablebit drivepool then. If I ever reinstall the fileserver (it is windows so it'll likely happen at some point) I will have to revisit it.

For me I had just rebuilt my fileserver, and still had my raid-F/drive pooling version of Flexraid to hand.  It didn't like the new parts and refused to activate and of course no replys from the helpdesk. so I *cough* convinced it to work with a bit of frigging. Its fine for pooling. But I would never trust flexraid with data again.