Author Topic: Cant select option to create Storage Pool  (Read 131 times)

Offline artroom

• View Profile
Cant select option to create Storage Pool
« on: October 11, 2018, 08:02:09 pm »
I currently have 4 internal drives in my WHS microserver setup as a Snapshot Raid. And that is working fine, with an external drive I connect for the PPU.
I have recently added a 5 Bay external enclosure for expansion with 1 Drive in it. I now wish to add a second drive to it and just set it up as Storage Pooling for the time being.  However when I try to add a new configuration, Cruise Control is greyed out, I can only select Expert, which is ok, but then I can only select Snapshot, Storage Pool is greyed out.
I do not have any drive I can use for a PPU at this time and all the options for Snapshot seem to require at least 1.
1) Why would I not be able to create a Storage Pool?
2) Is there any way to create a Snapshot raid without a PPU (I don't need the redundancy for now)
thanks

Offline smarty12345

• View Profile
Re: Cant select option to create Storage Pool
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 04:26:21 pm »
I currently have 4 internal drives in my WHS microserver setup as a Snapshot Raid. And that is working fine, with an external drive I connect for the PPU.
I have recently added a 5 Bay external enclosure for expansion with 1 Drive in it. I now wish to add a second drive to it and just set it up as Storage Pooling for the time being.  However when I try to add a new configuration, Cruise Control is greyed out, I can only select Expert, which is ok, but then I can only select Snapshot, Storage Pool is greyed out.
I do not have any drive I can use for a PPU at this time and all the options for Snapshot seem to require at least 1.
1) Why would I not be able to create a Storage Pool?
2) Is there any way to create a Snapshot raid without a PPU (I don't need the redundancy for now)
thanks

From the Wiki on storage pool setup. " Note that you can’t create a Storage Pool if you have a Cruise Control configuration already in your system."
Wiki is http://wiki.flexraid.com/2011/08/23/setting-up-the-storage-pool/

It doesn't say in that Wiki, but given the wording in the "note", I would say its a fair guess that if you want a pool and a snapshot raid running, you would need to configure each one manually in expert mode and not use cruise control to create the snapshot.

Offline artroom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 04:46:17 pm »
Thanks Smarty

So iI presume it is possible/safe to recreate the existing 4 drive raid done in cruise control in expert mode without any data loss?

Offline smarty12345

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 06:00:05 am »
Thanks Smarty

So iI presume it is possible/safe to recreate the existing 4 drive raid done in cruise control in expert mode without any data loss?

If there is nothing wrong with your drives or data already then it would be safe to do so. The question really is if your going to do that, should you stick with flexraid. As from what I have seen on the forum over the last year or so is that most people have stopped using it (including myself) due to data recovery issues, corrupted files, no support and licencing issues with reinstalled or new systems.

Offline artroom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 06:25:39 am »
I don't have the time. money or desire to overhaul my whole setup like I really want to, so for now will stick with it...until a problem or need arises.
I've never had to recover anything so no idea if I'll have problems.
It is recreating the raid now. I have to recreate the PPU as it just wouldn't do it using the existing parity data.
I have always found support sorely lacking (for a paid product) so not surprising it is a reason people abandon it.