Author Topic: Confused - how to make snapshot raid  (Read 277 times)

Offline artroom

• View Profile
Confused - how to make snapshot raid
« on: October 16, 2018, 02:42:12 am »
Sorry if I've missed something obvious here, but I've been going round in circles for days trying to figure this out.

I've had a Cruise Control raid running successfully for year made of 4 drives. I then wanted to add 2 drives as a separate Storage Pool. As you can't do that with a Cruise Control set up, I deleted the cruise control and created an Expert Mode Snapshot of the original 4 drives and recreated the PPU (it kept erroring if I tried to reuse the existing PPU), and a Storage Pool for the 2 new drives.

The Storage Pool is working fine and shows as T Drive: FlexRAID Storage Pool.
However the Snapshot Raid doesn't seem to have done anything. The 4 drives still just show as individual drives in Windows.

What am I missing to get these 4 drives to show as one, like it did before in Cruise Control?
thanks

Offline smarty12345

• View Profile
Re: Confused - how to make snapshot raid
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 01:51:29 pm »
Read these :
http://wiki.flexraid.com/2011/08/23/setting-up-the-storage-pool/
http://wiki.flexraid.com/2011/08/23/setting-up-your-snapshot-raid/

From reading those, what you want to do should be possible. But you would need to do it from NTFS folder mount points and not from drive letters.
As that way you can still have the mounts directed to a pool or a raid-F setup or both, and not have all the drives showing up separately in My computer with drive letters.

Offline artroom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 04:18:18 pm »
Thanks again Smarty...
So, I have to create a second pool and then add the snapshot raid to the same drive paths used to make that pool?
I thought a raid merged the disks as one, is this not what flexraid does for a snapshot raid? It has to be done in two separate parts?
If that is the case, can you make a pool of all your drives, but choose to only snapshot raid some of them?

I tried to create a pool from those disks but when I go to Add New Configuration, the only option it will let me choose is another Snapshot Raid. Is Flexraid only able to create one storage pool, but unlimited snapshot raids? That does seem very odd.

Offline smarty12345

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 04:15:28 pm »
I have just tried this on a VM using NTFS mounts.
So in a nutshell. You can have only a single instance of a storage pool running via Flexraid. After the first is created the option to make more is greyed out.
the "raid" is totally separate in Expert mode however.
So unlike cruise control that will create a raid and pool all the disks in that raid, using expert mode you can create a single pool from any number of the disks you have, and exclude others. And then configure a raid over any selection of disks you want too.
I believe you can set up multiple raids of different disks. Though I think that could get messy.  But you are limited to only a single initialized pool. IF you want more than one pool you will probably have to look and dedicated pooling software. 

Offline artroom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 06:06:17 pm »
OK. I think I will bite the bullet and just buy another HD now (which is what I was hoping to avoid).
That way I can just put everything back into 1 big storage pool and have enough PPU to cover it all.
Anything else sounds like it will get too messy, and I don't want to spend too much time on anything new, or money on new software.

thanks for your help.