Author Topic: Drive failure - Data Loss  (Read 140 times)

Offline dmas88

• View Profile
Drive failure - Data Loss
« on: November 20, 2018, 05:47:23 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I know I am probably posting the same thing as others, but I really don't see what I have done wrong, or what I am missing. Rebooted my server and tried to go into a folder and I was missing data. I looked at my configuration and I had a DRU drive in a dropped/failed status. I did unfail the device before going looking to see if it was detected by myWindows OS (my mistake), however, when I did a swap on that drive to a replacement drive and completed a verify+, it did not recover any of the data loss. I thought that I shouldn't have had any data loss with a single DRU failure anyway, but was hoping that replacing the drive & verify+ would get it back. What have I done wrong?

Also, I upgraded the flexRAID server before swapping the drive as my landing disk has not been moving files for some time, and from what I read, that was to be resolved in a new release.

I am guessing there is nothing I can do at this point, but I am trying to avoid (would be great if I could) but I am hoping to avoid this in the future as well.

Thanks in Advance.

Offline Skirge01

• View Profile
Re: Drive failure - Data Loss
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 01:13:09 pm »
I believe the only option you have is to restore from the PPU by following this guide*:  http://wiki.flexraid.com/2013/06/27/restoring-a-failed-disk-in-transparent-raid/

* However, note this part from the second guide I'm about to list, which would seem to indicate the data is lost forever:

Choosing to unfail a disk rather than to recover it will essentially discard all changes written to that disk while it was in the dropped state.

For the future, the proper procedure would be to follow this guide:  http://wiki.flexraid.com/2013/06/27/transparent-raid-dealing-with-a-dropped-disk/

Many of us have been there before and screwed this up.  The most important tip I can offer is to test your procedures BEFORE there's a failure, just as the guide tells you how to do.  If the guide isn't clear enough to your liking, rewrite it and keep a copy locally (i.e. not on the array!) and use that instead.

Also, purchase and install HD Sentinel Pro.  It is worth 10x the cost ($30 USD).  This software will monitor all your drives 24/7 and alert you BEFORE there's a failure, especially if you set it to "Analyse data field (more strict, recommended for servers)".  This will leave you with plenty of time and multiple routes to copy/recover your data.  HDS has saved my me countless times and I have NEVER lost a single file since installing it.  Can't praise it enough!  LOL!

Offline Longnados

• View Profile
Re: Drive failure - Data Loss
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 09:17:07 pm »
Does your website make out seamlessly and requires no customization anything more.