Author Topic: DRU restore failure  (Read 216 times)

Offline qwkteg125

• View Profile
DRU restore failure
« on: December 14, 2018, 09:21:24 pm »
Here's the message I get:

WARN: The restore process has failed! Nothing has been restored...
An exception has occurred!
See logs for full message.
Error message: Unable to create directory C:\FlexRAID-Managed-Pool\class1_0\{d9c88434-6e68-49e7-be1d-2407e4763ddd}\Users\MEDIA\Software\*some file directory blah blah blah*\Versions\1.0\Resources

I have the full log if needed as well.

Background: Upgraded OS drive from 128gb ssd to 500gb ssd. Apparently, at the same time one of my DRU drives bites the dust. I purchased a new hdd and initialized it through windows and then ran a restore to the new drive using the original drive letter. Then I get the error message and here we are. I hadn't added any new files to the pool or anything of that nature. Any help appreciated thanks!

Offline qwkteg125

• View Profile
Re: DRU restore failure
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 10:27:15 pm »
Hmmm looks like I invested my money into an abandoned product...

Offline Skirge01

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 10:54:55 am »
I can't help you fix your actual issue, except to say that you can likely rebuild the array from scratch (i.e. delete array, create new array, add drives, etc) and be on your way again.

Regarding the state of FlexRAID, you could be right, but this has happened before.  The dev disappears for a while (months) every so often, but--so far--he has always returned and development picks right back up.  As much as I wish this didn't happen, if my system keeps working, I'm staying put.  Once I know he's MIA, I just ensure I don't make any major changes to my system and always have a system backup at the ready.  As long as my license doesn't need to be reactivated, I *should* be safe.  Sadly, this is what happens when there's only one person running the entire project.

Offline qwkteg125

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 01:57:08 pm »
Thanks for the reply! So currently, after I tried the restore I can see the files that are supposed to be on the drive, but the files do not work. You say if I attempt a scratch rebuild I will be able to recover the missing files? Or do you mean if I do a scratch rebuild I will be able to have a working array again, but without the files from the drive that died?

Yeah I was initially drawn to Flexraid because of the fact that if something did go wrong with a drive, you would at worst only lose the data on that one drive and not the whole array. I've had flexraid running without any problems since 2012 and loved the storage pooling feature, but of course this is the first time a drive has failed on me. I previously had an antiquated raid5 setup on my computer that I wasn't able to rebuild after one drive died so I lost everything. I was hoping not to lose any data this time but I guess some loss is better than all?