Author Topic: WARNING: Do NOT mess with a working tRAID/RAID-F setup!  (Read 872 times)

Offline Skirge01

• View Profile
WARNING: Do NOT mess with a working tRAID/RAID-F setup!
« on: December 26, 2018, 08:36:07 am »
I'm seeing a few people with activation issues.  Sad to say, you're all likely out of luck at the moment.  Brahim has been MIA for several months now.  This has happened before (for even longer) and he has always returned (so far), but during this time, it's likely no development is happening and there's definitely no customer support available; we're completely on our own.  That means the customer portal may or may not function properly, purchases cannot happen, licenses likely cannot be transferred or activated, technical support is unavailable, etc.

Therefore, if you have a working setup, DO NOT willingly make any major changes to your system.  If it's working, keep it working as best you can.  Don't swap major pieces of hardware.  Don't upgrade the OS to a major new version.  If your RAID setup decides the changes require activation, you're likely screwed until the developer returns.

If you're forced to make such a change due to hardware failure or otherwise and you require activation, your only option will likely be to wait for the developer.  That means either going without any further data protection or switching to another solution.

Personally, I'm optimistic he'll be back at some point and, as long as my setup keeps working, I won't be switching to anything else.  Clearly, everyone needs to do whatever they feel is right for them.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 10:58:00 am by Skirge01 »

Offline b-earl

• View Profile
Re: WARNING: Do NOT mess with a working tRAID/RAID-F setup!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 04:49:25 pm »
Thanks for the good warning post @Skirge01.
I can only add that since my hardware broke down a few month ago I came into the dilemma of activation not working. As a last resort I purchased a new license. I did not know I the purchasing system would work with Brahim MIA but at around 48h after the payment I got an e-mail with the purchase code. But I have no idea if this process is automated or Brahim manually needs to do something. Just my feedback.
Server HW: Chenbro RM41416 case | Supermicro X11SCZ-F + LSI SAS 9305-16i | i3-8300 | 16 GB DDR4 ECC Ram
Server OS:   Windows Server 2016 (UEFI) on  250 GB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 ssd
tRAID 1.1.0 2017.02.11
Backupserver: Supermicro X10SLM-F UEFI + LSI SAS9211-8i IT FW
Server OS: Win 2016 + tRAID

Offline bigbob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 11:53:21 am »
This should be a sticky for anybody actually considering giving a cent to Brahim.

Offline Skirge01

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 02:01:36 pm »
With no admins around, this was the best I could come up with as a simple customer/user like the rest of you.  The News and Updates forum seemed the most logical place to post it for visibility.  Hopefully people will see it.

Offline JackDiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 12:17:21 am »
Really appreciate the heads up. I've been having issues with my setup, was about to start troubleshooting it then I saw your post. Time to uninstall Flexraid and go with Snapraid + Drivepool. Not even worth it anymore.

Offline efishta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 12:37:49 pm »
Good looking out!

Offline asian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 02:04:00 am »
I do agree to all.

It is bad that this product is where it is now.
It is so easy to setup and understand but the lack of support and help well nothing to say there.

I am currently testing Unraid looks like a good product but not as easy as Flexraid .

I will come back here to read all the comments but i need to fix my system and i have changed to many hard drives so i need a new licence now.

Good luck to all.

Offline harakiri

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 02:25:04 pm »
This is a really bad joke. That was already once and I did not know why. My system is still running well (version from 2015) and I don't dare to change the system. I backup the important data one more time externally and to another offline system each quartal

I've been following the forum for some time now.
I don't like the way Brahim (or the management) behaves and doesn't communicate in this absence. Again and again new solutions are advertised, but nothing happens.

My next system will be a different and more professional solution. It can't be that everything depends on one developer. Fortunately, I never had data loss, but I think it's very risky and I think a lot of things aren't fully tested. Other solutions are extensively tested before they are sold to customers. One person can't do it, maybe 80-90% of the features, but the devil is in the details.

Some users have storage sizes of 40 or more TB. I'm always horrified about it. There are certainly more professional solutions for that, I think it's a gimmick, but unfortunately they only look at the price.

The product should be set up more broadly and have more coworkers

Too bad the product ends like this.

Offline efishta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 11:30:39 am »
"Some users have storage sizes of 40 or more TB. I'm always horrified about it. There are certainly more professional solutions for that, I think it's a gimmick, but unfortunately they only look at the price."

It's the only product on the market that does real time raid on existing NTFS drives, which is why I initially used it... and still do, but once I get a failed activation or need to reinstall the OS, I'm probably going the Snapraid + Drivepool route... or just suck it up and switch to Unraid.

Offline cward3321

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 11:29:29 am »
That explains the lack of response from them on helping me transfer my license.  I got to the point where my trial ran out a little early and I ran out of disk space in my pool. I couldn't do anything but uninstall and switch to DrivePool+snapraid.  Process was pretty easy and now i just have to wait for snapraid to calculate out parity on my ~20T array.

Good luck to anyone not jumping ship.

Offline monkeysez

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 07:59:37 pm »
Another long time user that switched to drivepool + snapraid. Very disappointed.

Offline Tommyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 07:06:25 pm »
Well this isn't good...

My server is do for an OS upgrade at the minimum and I am trying to figure out if it will result in flexraid licensing issues. I'm not planning on changing the hardware fortunately.
Planning to go from Windows server 2008 to 2016.

Anyone have any past experiences upgrading?

Offline wdeydwondrer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2019, 10:31:43 pm »
Same as monkey, I switched a while back during his LAST absence.  Totally understandable for a free product but this cost some decent money.  And the new features talked about and never developed.  This is a joke anymore.  Just switch to snapraid for a simple fix or set up a proper raid.  Hell, even windows built in raid solution works as good or better than this.

Offline Skirge01

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2019, 11:41:23 am »
Well this isn't good...

My server is do for an OS upgrade at the minimum and I am trying to figure out if it will result in flexraid licensing issues. I'm not planning on changing the hardware fortunately.
Planning to go from Windows server 2008 to 2016.

Anyone have any past experiences upgrading?

If you want to keep using a FlexRAID product, I absolutely would not upgrade the OS.  Conversely, if you feel the NEED to upgrade the OS right away, then I'd prepare yourself to be switching to an alternative product, just in case.  In my opinion, it's highly unlikely the license would still be activated after an OS upgrade.  Hell, I've had Windows updates (back in the W7 days) trigger a license activation in the past.

Offline TheCodeMan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 10:17:35 am »
I highly recommend going with SnapRAID and DrivePool. SnapRAID is free and DrivePool is very cheap. I'm running six installations, I think DrivePool for all six cost right around $100. SnapRAID works very well and is easy to use. Lookup the Elucidate GUI and use it in conjunction with SnapRAID. DrivePool is also very simple to get a handle on. Not to mention it is a fully supported product!

I jumped ship about 6 months ago and never looked back. I completed all my conversions in about a week. No data was lost, no data had to be moved. It was very much an in place upgrade. My largest install is a little over 60TB so SnapRAID can handle big installations. I would argue that setting up and configuring SnapRAID with DrivePool is just as easy if not more so than setting up FlexRAID. Uninstalling FlexRAID was the best decision I've made in years.