Author Topic: Early adopters needed for new tRAID build (Windows and Linux)  (Read 20905 times)

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Early adopters needed for new tRAID build (Windows and Linux)
« on: August 17, 2015, 10:52:42 pm »
Here are early builds of the next release of tRAID for both Windows and Linux users.
  • Windows support is for Windows 7 and above including Windows 10.
  • Ubuntu support is specific to kernel 3.19.0-XX-generic (where XX is 25 or higher). Customers with support subscription can get a build for prior supported kernel.
  • CentOS/RHEL supports includes CentOS/RHEL 7 and CentOS/RHEL 7.1.

Please report feedbacks on the new Universal Recycle Bin feature!

Changes:
======
Code: [Select]
* Windows 10 support
* Ubuntu kernel support now at kernel 3.19.0-XX-generic (where XX is 25 or higher)
* Storage Pooling now has support for Universal Recycle Bin to support restoring files deleted both locally and over the network
* Landing Disk now has its own reserve space settting
* Added option to disable network optimization for users experiencing issues with it (rare)
* Log level of the host service can now be changed on the fly in the UI through the host settings panel
* Minor RAID engine enhancements
* Updated Smartctl engine and database
* Fixed bug with Landing Disk in handling of Folder Priority
* Fixed bug in Landing Disk in handling of ACLs
* Fixed scheduler entry bug when not entering start and end dates
* Fixed memory leak in service broker
* Fixed issue in not being able to configure RAID 1
* Fixed coding bug affecting Storage Pool

The release is now official: http://www.flexraid.com/download-try-buy-traid/#download-traid
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 06:37:04 pm by Brahim »

Offline Hammerfest

• View Profile
Re: Windows 10 early adopters needed for new tRAID build
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 11:09:46 pm »
If it doesn't require being a paid customer, I would be more then happy to break/fix (Win 10/Server Next testing since release).

I have a current install on my PC that had survived until the jump from build 99xx to 1xxxx, but its also expired.

3xHDD
1xSSD

Not exciting I know, but I cannot take my server system out of service to do other testing since I passed up FlexRAID for hardware.

Offline TLS2000

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 09:40:40 am »
I'd be willing to give it a try.  I have non-essential data on my server right now.

Offline samstudent

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 03:19:51 pm »
I am willing to test this version of tRAID

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 07:26:48 am »
See first post for downloads.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 02:40:37 pm by Brahim »

Offline charlton81

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 09:20:21 am »
I'll try. Any special notes on installation?

Offline Hammerfest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 11:21:37 am »
Ok, only two observations:

Update/New install of host/client:
Rare, but it happens, I forgot to right click and run as admin! I recall there being a way to have the batch file run as admin if admin not in use when you click on it, might want to look into that during some free time (because not that important if your using software like FlexRAID, you should know this, but still a nice thing).
Despite being newer versions both client/host wouldn't do anything until previous versions where uninstalled. For the host just got the "already exists" message, and for the client it just said it finished, but that it already existed previously, so uninstall/restart/reinstall for both, that seemed to work fine for me. (Another free time thing where if script sees a previous version detected it uninstalls first, then installs)

As noted in my first post, my trial had already expired, so nothing new to see there, but I did want to turn and burn this system for a proper testing from a "fresh windows and fresh flexraid" install, I tried to Delete the existing host, but it wouldn't let me due to the existing RAID configuration inside, thats nice and all, but it would be nice if there was some way to bypass that like a "Yes I know, delete the RAID configuration as well" option and a confirmation code before its wiped.

It will be another day before more tests, boss gifted me a MiniITX tower (Bitfenix Prodigy) and MiniITX board, got 5 bays, 6 drives (5xHDD 1xSSD for landing), going to spin that up and give it a whirl for FlexRAID*!

*I wanted it to be my server with ClearOS but it seems searching on how to install FlexRAID on ClearOS, its not possible due to install/management limitations... there are PAID addon's for ClearOS, maybe if you get more developers, might want to look into making a Paid Addon for ClearOS, lots in the forums there looking for better Storage options!

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 11:55:50 am »
@Hammerfest

1. Yeah, an installation manager is needed to simplify updating an existing install. It will also tranparently handle installing the host as admin. Without an exe, running things as admin is not seamless and in fact more awkward than "right-click and run as admin".

2. You can email sales to have your trial reset.

3. ClearOS can easily be supported if there is enough user interest: http://forum.flexraid.com/index.php/topic,4029.0.html

Offline charlton81

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 01:09:05 pm »
I got this message when trying to start the Raid after updating: notConnectedToDeviceError

Offline monkeysez

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 02:08:16 pm »
Upgraded to Windows 10 and all is copacetic thus far. Running stability test now.

Offline jammin

• View Profile
Re: Early adopters needed for new tRAID build (Windows and Linux)
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 07:13:18 am »
I went a bit crazy updating all my computers to Win 10 and did the flexraid one without checking if a win 10 version existed.  Oops.

Thankfully I found this thread and installed the preview version.  It's working fine so far ... I'll post again in a couple of days with my progress.

Offline jammin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 09:06:54 pm »
Just checking in a week later.  No problems found, although my uses for flexraid are pretty simple.  But it mounts, and I access my files so all good for me :)

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 12:28:13 am »
Just checking in a week later.  No problems found, although my uses for flexraid are pretty simple.  But it mounts, and I access my files so all good for me :)
Nice. Thanks for the report. :)

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 02:00:56 am »
New build 2015-09-08

Code: [Select]
* Fixed coding bug affecting Storage Pool

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 11:58:46 am »
Pending objections or new issue reports, the 2015-09-08 build will become the official release on 2015-09-11 (this coming Friday).