Author Topic: Issues Expanding Array  (Read 4078 times)

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Issues Expanding Array
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 08:37:04 pm »
Try a reboot.

Offline snown

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 09:47:16 pm »
Shoot. Rebooting didn't do it.

What other information might be helpful?

Offline snown

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 03:39:15 pm »
Just to double check, here are the settings on that drive now:

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 04:05:09 pm »
If it is one of the disk involved in the restore and both disks are in the system, then they might both have the same fingerprint.
This should normally not happen. So, first make sure you don't have your disks confused. Look at the registered disks and get their details to ensure that you did not mislabel them. It could well be that the DRU06 is registered under a different label.

If sure that's not the case and that you have no data on the disk, delete all partitions off it and rewrites its partition table using GParted (redo the GPT initialization).

Offline snown

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2015, 03:57:16 pm »
I finally got the disk to register, bet here's what I tried first.

• I verified each registered disk in the UI. None are pointing to the disk in question (/dev/sde1)
  • Deleted all Unused Registered Disks
  • Deleted all Unused Registered Volumes

• Recreated the gpt partition table, and added an ext4 partition with 1 MiB free space preceding and 8 MiB free space following.
  • Recreated the gpt partition table, and added an ext4 partition with 1 MiB free space preceding and 1 MiB free space following.
  • Attempted Bulk registration in addition to the normal right-click on physical drive register
  • run traid-install-mgr.sh

The only thing I can do to make that "Register pass-through Disk" option to be selectable is to recreate the gpt partition table, and then not put a partition on it. Which as we discussed will not work. However, I also noticed that the "Register pass-through Disk" only goes grey if I refresh the "Physical Drives" section. So I cleared the partition, made sure the register functionality was working, created the partition on the drive, then went back to the UI and registered it. After that I was able to expand the RAID just fine.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2015, 05:28:01 pm »
Hum... this does not sound good. I would not trust this configuration as is.
Not being able to register the disk when with a partition is sign of an issue somewhere. Don't brush this off as you might find yourself with issues later.

I would delete the configuration, regain control of the disks, and start over.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 05:32:45 pm by Brahim »

Offline snown

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2015, 05:30:06 pm »
I'll probably do just that after I get that last disk in there at it's full capacity. In the mean time I'm verifying the parity and hoping for the best. Everything is working flawlessly so far.