Author Topic: Coming at a crossroads - The future of FlexRAID  (Read 29839 times)

Offline MrCrispy

• View Profile
Re: Coming at a crossroads - The future of FlexRAID
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2012, 04:42:57 pm »
As I understand both FlexRaid and unRaid are single person projects. unRaid probably has a lot more users, exposure and they have a commercial business. But FlexRaid is much more suited to my needs since it runs on Windows. While it was free, I had no problems dealing with the beta nature, expiry dates etc. Now that it has gone commercial, there are different expectations. I know that a lot of commercial software is full of bugs (hell, just look at early versions of WHS) but its fair to say FlexRaid is already pretty high quality and thus we expect more :)

Offline whelp

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 14, 2012, 11:20:30 pm »
While it was free, I had no problems dealing with the beta nature, expiry dates etc. Now that it has gone commercial, there are different expectations.

Well, its the nature of proprietary software, author has all rights to stop supporting it anytime he wish, there is nothing you can do.

Offline justincase102

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2012, 10:02:42 am »
Brahim--will there be an option to purchase RAID-F RAID and at a later time purchase/upgrade to RAID-F RAID + pooling for the incremental cost?  I'm not ready for pooling solution yet but will be interested once I rework my server to accommodate pooling.

Offline cradle

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2012, 11:36:46 am »
hi Brahim,

I was stupid, tried to make a dual boot with win 7 and Fedora: lost complete disk while thinking my images were ok: they were not and I lost a part of my holiday pictures of Africa made just the week before :'(. Then for the first time started to study how to make my backups better and discovered something like REED. Didn't know what it was and how to, but soon discoverd the hardware and the software options. As a MS 'lover' I would never ever use theirs. Bios from a Dell computer: forget it. No I want to keep control myself and that in the future and on every machine/os coming.

It didn't take long before I noticed the presence of Flexraid ( Snapraid page ).

So I bought a Sharkoon 2bay with 2 x 2TB Seagate disks in it and put it 'mirrored' to start with good stuff. Then I followed your instructions in the Beginners guide (all default settings) and made my first raid of course with copied data to test and learn how to keep it ok.

This is how far I got: it seems all right but I have to build confidence.....

I am not like you guys with all the knowledge and experience and that is why I wanted to share my strugling and doubts because I am convinced that more and more people like me (precious data and an OS that takes a week to build again) want a definite solution for mirroring,  backups and images.

So for now Brahim, thanks thanks so much for the gem you and the others made. I do hope you will continue because what is the use of everything if one day my raid will be inadmissible by every means?

Peter

Offline LBDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2012, 09:21:21 pm »
Touching how you all think that brahim's eleventh hour decision to go fully commercial rather than donation-ware will automatically mean timely bug-fixes, good documentation and instant support. No more haring off after a new 'concept' just before the previous 'concept' becomes a 'product'? A load of boring hack-work to go with the brilliant ideas? Time will tell I guess.

Offline Bazinga

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2012, 10:42:58 pm »
hi Brahim,

I was stupid, tried to make a dual boot with win 7 and Fedora: lost complete disk while thinking my images were ok: they were not and I lost a part of my holiday pictures of Africa made just the week before :'(. Then for the first time started to study how to make my backups better and discovered something like REED. Didn't know what it was and how to, but soon discoverd the hardware and the software options. As a MS 'lover' I would never ever use theirs. Bios from a Dell computer: forget it. No I want to keep control myself and that in the future and on every machine/os coming.

It didn't take long before I noticed the presence of Flexraid ( Snapraid page ).

So I bought a Sharkoon 2bay with 2 x 2TB Seagate disks in it and put it 'mirrored' to start with good stuff. Then I followed your instructions in the Beginners guide (all default settings) and made my first raid of course with copied data to test and learn how to keep it ok.

This is how far I got: it seems all right but I have to build confidence.....

I am not like you guys with all the knowledge and experience and that is why I wanted to share my strugling and doubts because I am convinced that more and more people like me (precious data and an OS that takes a week to build again) want a definite solution for mirroring,  backups and images.

So for now Brahim, thanks thanks so much for the gem you and the others made. I do hope you will continue because what is the use of everything if one day my raid will be inadmissible by every means?

Peter

Peter,

I might be totally misunderstanding you here, but what you described is a bit confusing. You're saying you bought an external enclosure that does mirroring internally via it's own hardware. Well, I'm not sure what's the use of FlexRaid for you then.

FlexRaid (Snapshot) allows you to build a parity of a number of "data units" (either hard drives, or directories or whatnot) and then have a "parity unit" (lets assume a separate hard drive) that would provide means for you to restore your data in case of a hard disk failure.

On the other hand - in your case, when you need only limited amount of storage to keep your photographs safe, you may not need any solution like FlexRaid since your needs would be satisfied by the enclosure you have already purchased. FlexRaid is a solution that manages large pools of data (few harddrives or more). If you've got few hundred gigabytes of photographs (and that would be a lot of them) then your mirroring approach is enough. But bare in mind that you still need to have a second backup just in case - your enclosure can short and fry both drives and you'd be where you started. Even with FlexRaid in my system I keep 2 copies of the most important files on 2 dedicated external drives.

Hope this helps.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2012, 04:01:52 pm »
Quick update:

Putting on the finishing touches. Will start taking on orders later tonight.
Thanks all for your patience. :)

Offline paavor

• View Profile
    • Personal website
« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2012, 04:25:44 pm »
Putting on the finishing touches. Will start taking on orders later tonight.

YAY!  ;D

*polishing my MasterCard*
Paavo Rissanen

Offline Gaevonn

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2012, 08:02:43 pm »
I didn't miss a link did I?  I cannot seem to find the option to buy.  Of course I am in CST time, so maybe it is too early?  My Paypal and MC is ready to go....   ;D
I Work; therefore, I Live.
;-)

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2012, 08:52:54 pm »
I didn't miss a link did I?  I cannot seem to find the option to buy.  Of course I am in CST time, so maybe it is too early?  My Paypal and MC is ready to go....   ;D

http://forum.flexraid.com/index.php/topic,535.0.html

:)

Offline proper88

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2012, 01:06:11 am »
Hi Brahim,

you wrote:
Everyone that donated to the project prior to this post will get a free license of FlexRAID's RAID-F regardless of the donation amount.

How do I get a license in this case ?

/proper88

Offline jtyphoid

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2012, 08:00:22 am »
Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen anything about whether the activation code will let me activate more than one system that I own.

In other words, can I use one purchased copy on both my home server and my desktop?

Offline Costalat

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2012, 11:12:35 am »
@Brahim,

I noticed that we can start getting our licenses. How does that interacts with the release schedule?

Will you drop the 2 beta and go straight to production release?

Cheers 

Offline glum

• View Profile
    • my-HTPC custom build media servers and HTPCs
« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2012, 05:52:25 pm »
Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen anything about whether the activation code will let me activate more than one system that I own.

In other words, can I use one purchased copy on both my home server and my desktop?
I would expect it will be one license per machine.
FlexRAID reseller on our Media Servers
Demo Server: FlexRAID+ with 43 TB of Storage in one pool

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2012, 07:41:31 pm »

One license per system.

Hi Brahim,

you wrote:
Everyone that donated to the project prior to this post will get a free license of FlexRAID's RAID-F regardless of the donation amount.

How do I get a license in this case ?

/proper88
Indeed.
I will be processing the donations later tomorrow and will send out the e-mail confirmations.
So, check your PayPal e-mail in a day or two.

@Brahim,

I noticed that we can start getting our licenses. How does that interacts with the release schedule?

Will you drop the 2 beta and go straight to production release?

Cheers
No beta.
The first final release will be tomorrow after I issue out the purchased activation codes.
Of course, the final release will be updated with new and frequent releases.