Author Topic: Raid would not start after removing and re-adding drives  (Read 1216 times)

Offline narkotic

• View Profile
Raid would not start after removing and re-adding drives
« on: September 06, 2015, 12:00:29 am »
So - my TRaid has been up and running for several days and I had a sudden thought - that I never notated down the serial numbers of the drives and set up a cross reference guide just in case there is a failed drive, to know which drive to replace. I've had a similar situation with a drobo but the drobo makes it simple and causes the bad bay to blink - and the dashboard software visibly shows which bay is having issues. Dummy-proof.

Since this is a software raid which will work on basically anything, I had a sudden anxiety attack that since I never catalogued the physical drive bays to the registered volumes, that I wouldnt' know which drive to hot-swap in case of failure. So...

I stopped the pool, then stopped the raid.

I pulled each drive (they're in hot-swap bays) one at a time, noted down the serial number (they are all identical drive types / sizes) and then once done, inserted each drive back into their original bays, one at a time.

Windows saw each drive, but gave them different drive ID's - most likely because I probably inserted them in different orders than I originally inserted them when I first set up the array.

I went to start the raid, and got an error - something like "file not found". I thought, that is odd. Then after looking at the array via the software, I noticed the parity drive was the wrong one!

To fix it, I ended up removing the drives until I got them to use their original drive ID (in windows) and voila, it started the array.

I thought this to be VERY odd - and would have thought the array would have recognized the drives based on a unique ID or serial number. Does it really tie them together using the Drive ID in windows? That number can change...

Also a basic question - is it OK to change the "visual name" of the registered disks to make them easier to differentiate? I'd like to give them a simple name like "TRAY 1", "TRAY 2" in case of a future failure.

Oh - another strange thing I found (maybe this is related) - two of my registered disks are showing the same serial number! They show different in the "Physical drives" section. Any thoughts there??

I was sweating bullets for a few hours the other night due to this...

Thanks!

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Raid would not start after removing and re-adding drives
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 04:37:43 am »
1. Transparent RAID does not care about the drive IDs except for the session, and only caches them for only a few minutes.

2. The UI has a feature to make disks blink.

3. If two registered drives have the same serial, then they are likely pointing to the same disk (not good). You might want to delete the config and start fresh.

Offline narkotic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 11:10:11 pm »
Thanks!

1. OK - thanks. What is the proper way to change the name? I'm a bit anxious to do that again... do I not stop the raid and just change it?
2. WOW! I wish I had known about this. Sure enough, I found it. .. "Poke Disks". That is amazing. thanks!
3. Well, strangely enough, that issue has just disappeared. All drives have unique S/N's now.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 12:30:25 am »
Editing the display names is as easy as right-click -> edit display name. :)