Author Topic: New installation - can not connect to host  (Read 2280 times)

Offline canadrian

• View Profile
New installation - can not connect to host
« on: September 16, 2015, 10:43:03 am »
I just removed Windows from my server and added Ubuntu Server 14.04.3 LTS. I installed tRAID using the Installation Manager and everything seemed to go fine, and I accepted default values. Rebooted after installation. When connecting to the web client (either from the local machine using X11 forwarding or from a browser on another machine on the network), it prompted for a new machine connection, and I accepted defaults. Now it lists "This Computer" but with a yellow exclamation mark icon on it, and it can't be expanded. I was never prompted to activate tRAID, even with a trial key (I haven't even gotten to the point of having to figure out if I can activate it on Linux using the key I used previously when I had Windows). Right-clicking the host just shows a menu with reconnect, edit, delete, and wake-on-LAN. If I double-click the host, I just see a notification:

Operation Info
This Computer: no further details available...

I have attached a screenshot. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling using the installation manager, but I get the same behaviour. Any assistance anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New installation - can not connect to host
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 10:50:18 am »
The service broker is not running.

1. In a shell prompt, go to /opt/traid/host and run ./NZFSB.
2. Check the logs in /var/logs/NZFSB.log for any issue. If no issue, CTRL+C to quit the running instance.
3. Finally, run sudo service traid starthost.
4. Refresh the UI.

FYI, you cannot activate a Linux installation with a Windows key or vice versa. The licenses are platform specific.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 10:52:03 am by Brahim »

Offline canadrian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 11:06:56 am »
Brahim, thank you for your help.

I'm receiving errors when I run /opt/traid/host/NZFSB:

canadrian@Matrix:~$ cd /opt/traid/host/
canadrian@Matrix:/opt/traid/host$ sudo ./NZFSB
[sudo] password for canadrian:
insmod: ERROR: could not insert module frouter.ko: Invalid module format
insmod: ERROR: could not insert module NZFSK.ko: Invalid module format
Unable to load Transparent RAID driver! Error=0 Message=Success - Aborting...

I checked /var/logs/NZFSB.log and it is empty.

Is it possible to get a refund/credit for my Windows tRAID purchase and purchase Linux tRAID instead? For various reasons it turns out Windows is not going to be an option for me. Obviously you could invalidate my existing Windows license; I'm not trying to use two licenses for the price of one. I'm a long time user of FlexRAID products (I've been using classic FlexRAID previously) and I'd love to keep using them, but unfortunately I'm not going to be able to afford to purchase a Linux license on top of the Windows license (nor will my girlfriend continue to live with me if I do...).

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 11:23:54 am »
Make sure your kernel is at the supported version: kernel 3.19.0-25-generic or ABI compatible

What do you get if you type: uname -r?

And sorry, there is really no way around getting the proper license for the proper platform. Development for each platform is a different effort.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 11:35:07 am by Brahim »

Offline cogliostrio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 11:41:01 am »
A fresh installation of Ubuntu Server 14.04.3 LTS runs on kernel 3.19.0-28-generic. Just downgrade to 3.19.0-25-generic.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 11:58:33 am »
A base install runs 3.19.0-25-generic. That said, I can't believe they already broke the ABI in just a few minor patches. 
So, much for LTS releases. >:(

No wonder people choose to stick to RHEL/CentOS for long-term Linux installations.

Offline cogliostrio

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 12:08:54 pm »
Ah, yeh. I probably updated mine during install. But yes, Im considering dumping ubuntu as well, as its quite annoying.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 12:50:47 pm »
The irony is that, there is no reason to break the ABI across the board. They are just blindly changing the ABI number in many cases.
I could mention using modprobe and forcing the load of the modules, but that's not a route we want to support.

Offline canadrian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 01:08:53 pm »
uname -r comes up with 3.19.0-28-generic. How would I downgrade, and how would I prevent it from upgrading again next time I "sudo apt-get upgrade"?

Regarding licensing - you're saying I can't return the Windows license I was hardly able to use and get the Linux licensing without paying $100 again? I was in hot water already for buying the $100 tRAID license when I already owned RAID-F, and another $100 for tRAID isn't going to fly with the boss. If that's the case, I probably shouldn't waste your time with more support questions, because I'm not going to be able to throw another $100 at this when I bought the last license for no reason. She'll have my guts for garters.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 01:28:16 pm »
To boot to the older kernel, see: http://askubuntu.com/questions/82140/how-can-i-boot-with-an-older-kernel-version

As far as the license, that's correct unfortunately. There is no returning licenses after activation as there is no way to revoke such activation (FlexRAID products don't call home).
The point of the trial is for users to ensure that the chosen product works for them prior to purchase.

I understand the dilemma. So, please don't test the "boss". ;)

We really should be charging more for Linux licenses than Windows licenses. However, that's a different discussion.

Offline canadrian

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 01:42:38 pm »
That's extremely disappointing. I've been a paid FlexRAID customer since 2012, and I have enjoyed the product and recommended the purchase to others. Even after I asked if the loyalty upgrade was still available and you said no, I still bought a full license on the merit of your products' past performance, without full testing, as I was confident the quality of your products would serve my needs. My setup and testing process took much longer than usual as I have just moved house. When Windows turned out to be problematic, I checked the tRAID purchase page to see if there were separate licenses for Windows and Linux and found there was only one purchase link for either; even clicking "Buy Now" just initiates the PayPal process rather than prompting for details on the host OS. So I had assumed the license was portable. I have now wiped out Windows, and spent a week transferring 18 terabytes of data from NTFS disks to ext4 disks, and I find out I'm left in the lurch. You're basically saying "ha, I've got your money now - too bad so sad."

So I'm faced with moving all 18TB of my data back to NTFS and taking another dubious stab at Windows, or just accepting that I basically lit a $100 bill on fire and trying to find something else. Given the lack of service on offer here, I'm heavily leaning towards the latter. I've confidently recommended your products to several friends for their home servers in the past, and unfortunately I won't be able to make that recommendation in the future.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 01:59:10 pm »
You can try reaching out to sales to see what can be done. Provide them with info on your existing licenses.
However, publicly, I have to state what the policy is.

In all cases, make sure to trial properly on Linux to ensure it is the right platform for you before you commit.

Offline canadrian

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 01:26:34 pm »
I was able to learn how to tell GRUB to boot with the older kernel, and tRAID seems to be working now. I activated with the trial and I'll see if I can get everything set up properly; since I've migrated all my data I may as well take a stab at it. If it works I'll contact Sales and see if they can be of any assistance. I'd really appreciate it if they could. Do I just use the form at http://flexraid.com/contact-us/ or is there a particular email address I should write to?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 02:41:03 pm »
Either the contact form or email to sales at flexraid dot com.

Offline pagewrite

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 03:41:45 am »
Just as an FYI, I was (temporarily) running the 3.19.0-28-generic kernel and found that when I tried to upgrade tRAID I had a similar issue with the broker not running.  I downgraded to 3.19.0-25-generic, and all is fine.

Ian