Author Topic: Upgrade to 2.1, Pool starts but not visible  (Read 7982 times)

Offline zak1976

• View Profile
Re: Upgrade to 2.1, Pool starts but not visible
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2015, 04:56:44 pm »
There is a big problem left...
everytime i try to copy data to the pool drive (it is the same if i copy from local server drive to pool drive or copy data to the network share pool drive) i get the message "Der angegebene Dateiname ist ungültig oder zu lang" translation is "the filename is invalid or too long", this seems to be a neverending story ...
I already reset the network shares, but the problem also consist when i copy from server drive c: to the pool drive on the server itself, so no network shares are involved.
What to do now?
Dam, why did i update, version 2.0 runs without problems, a downgrad did not work, the import of the ppu works, but then if i swap out the ppu with the real ppu drive the "drive" config is empty an a get a "null" error.
this sucks...

This is the message in the log when i try to copy a file (Win10.iso):

2015-10-18 23:43:01.113498][3792]      [WARN]:[OnCreateFile] CreateFile: error=123, msg=Error code=123 - Message=Unknown error
         \Win10.iso:Zone.Identifier -> DRU6\Win10.iso:Zone.Identifier

« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 05:05:40 pm by zak1976 »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2015, 05:28:44 pm »
Code: [Select]
Win10.iso:Zone.IdentifierYou have an invalid file name. Try to create a file with that name on your C:\ drive and you will understand why.

Offline zak1976

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2015, 03:55:04 am »
Dear Brahin,
the filename is valid, the name is "win10.iso", the rest in the log is done by the loggin engine, so please could you help?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2015, 04:20:47 am »
Then the file has an alternate data stream (https://www.google.com/#q=alternate%20streams%20ntfs%20file%20system).

How are you copying the file?
Post full details of your configuration (with screenshots).

Offline zak1976

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2015, 06:30:50 am »
Hi Brahim,

here are the infos:

System:               Windows Server 2012R2 fully patched
Flexraid Version:
Konfig in Flexraid: Snapshot Raid with 1xPPU and 8xDRU

On the Server i have one harddrive (SSD) mouted as drive "C:", and the flexraid pooldrive mounted as "Z:".
When i copy a file from the local server drive "C:" to the flexraid pooldrive "Z:" i get an error message when the copy process is finished "Der angegebene Dateiname ist ungültig oder zu lang. Geben Sie einen anderen Dateinamen ein", I try to translate that for you "The given filename ist invalid or too long. Please choose another filename".
I can only "retry", "skip" or "cancel" none option copys the file.
I tried this with different files, small ones, big ones, short filenames and so on, no success.
I then tried to make a new file on the root directory of my pooldrive, that worked so manually created new files directly on the pooldrive is no problem.
I am logged in as administrator.
Same behavior when I copy files from remote clients over the network share of the pooldrive.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 06:50:28 am by zak1976 »

Offline zak1976

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2015, 06:56:06 am »
more screenshots:
and Flexraid version: 2.1 [Snapshot 1.1 / Storage Pool 2.0] [2015.10.04]

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2015, 09:59:03 am »
In the "Preferences and Settings", change the filesystem to NTFS from FlexRAIDFS.
As explained above, your files have alternate streams, which is an NTFS only feature.

Also, are the alternate streams in your files on purpose? Typically, this could be result of a malware hiding some data there.
Read more on alternate streams as I linked above.

Offline zak1976

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2015, 11:10:25 am »
Thanks Brahim,

I changed the setting, stopped the pool, stopped the Flexraid service, started Felxraid service and started the pool.
When I copy a file, same behaviour.
I tried a programm which shows alternate strams, no alternate streams found, seems to be something related only to the felxraid pool drive.
I can copy date to the system drive (made a share for testing) also i can copy data from the pool drive to the system drive, so it is the same system, no errors, only if i copy to the flexraid pooldrive, it doesnt matter to which directory on the pooldrive.
By the way, all drives which belongs to the snapshot raid use REFS and are Bitlocker encrypted, this worked fine with the 2.0 release.

If we can not find a solution, how can i downgrade to the latest 2.0 release?
I have the latest 2.0 setup packet, i tried an uninstall of the 2.1 by stopping flexraid services, uninstall the software, made a reboot an deletet all flexraid folders and files incl. the configuration file and the hidden flexraid folder for the managed pool.
After that, i made a clean install of the 2.0 release, made a new config and importet the snapshot raid config by migration from my ppu drive.

Now all drives in the pool are "missing" and the drives are avalible for pooling, so far so good.
Now i only swap out the "missing" ppu with the abalible ppu and after that, the complete "Drive Manager" window is empy, no drives are visible, nothing.
I remember a post from you that the 2.0 version does not understand configurations made with the newer 2.1 version and the ppu have to be quick formated.
But i dont know when i have to do this step, first import the config from the ppu and then "swap out without restore" all DRUs, then quick format the old ppu and swap out the formatet ppu with the missing ppu and then recalculate parity?

Does it help for you to get my config file?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 11:52:46 am by zak1976 »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2015, 11:49:49 am »
1. If you need to revert to 2.0, the you cannot import the configuration. You also need to delete your configuration DB. You basically need to start completely fresh.

By the way, all drives which belongs to the snapshot raid use REFS and are Bitlocker encrypted, this worked fine with the 2.0 release.
This is one of the first things you should have stated.  ::)

ReFS does not support alternate data streams: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReFS / What features does NTFS support that ReFS does not support?
Removed features
Some NTFS features were removed and unsupported in the initial versions of ReFS. These included alternate data streams, object IDs, 8.3 filename, NTFS compression, Encrypting File System (EFS), transactional NTFS, hard links, extended attributes, and disk quotas.[10][3][14] ReFS does not itself offer data deduplication.[10] In addition, Windows cannot be booted from a ReFS volume.[10] Dynamic disks with mirrored or striped volumes are replaced with mirrored or striped storage pools provided by Storage Spaces, however, automated error-correction is only supported on mirrored spaces.

If you need to understand what those "Zone.Identifier" ADS are, https://www.google.com/#q=Zone.Identifier&start=0

Offline zak1976

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2015, 12:00:02 pm »
hard stuff...

so what can i do, it worked in the old version, nothing was changed, the drives were setup up for refs long time ago and worked in flexraid 2.0.
The file (CPDVD Ultra 14.0.4704.58.exe) was copied from the pool drive, so it was on the pool drive before, why do i get the errors now, is there a way to disable the ADS for the pooldrive?

Edit: " ReFS also supports alternate data streams (up to 128K for both Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2)"

from here:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831724.aspx
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 12:14:36 pm by zak1976 »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2015, 12:29:38 pm »
If version 2.0 worked for the exact same setup, then you will need to revert to it. Version 2.0 lacks support for ADS.
Add a feature request to bug.flexraid.com to have an option to disable ADS on the pool.

ReFS also supports alternate data streams (up to 128K for both Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2)
You may (or maybe not) need to be mindful of which OS formatted the disks. If support is tied to the filesystem version, then you might need to reformat to get an upgraded version with the new supported features.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 12:37:41 pm by Brahim »

Offline zak1976

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2015, 12:51:26 pm »
thanks for all the help and analysis !

I will make a feature request.
For now i will revert back to 2.0

Would you please assist in the downgrade?
I only want to know how to setup the config so that i can use all my DRUs with the data on it (some folders were spread over 2 disks).
Here ist what i would do (hope this is right)

After a clean downgrade with nothing left from Felexraid 2.1 on the hdd:

1. assign drive letters (or folders) to all pooldrives
2. format the drive which was the ppu drive
3. make a new snapshot raid cruise configuration
4. do not import anything
5. set up the drives as DRU as they where in the old config (eg. drive e: was DRU1 so assign drive e: again as DRU1 in the new config)
6. finaly initialize the new config/raid and let the parity calculation beginn
7. create the shares

Ist this the right way to go ?

PS: the drives were formatet in this server with this os.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2015, 01:14:41 pm »
Your steps look fine. Don't over think it. You will be setting things up as if you were installing FlexRAID the first time. So, do refer to the wiki for setup instructions if you forgot them.

Offline zak1976

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2015, 01:17:27 pm »
thank you, i am a little bit afraid because there is so much data on the DRUs...