Author Topic: Question about adding new drive and spanning data  (Read 781 times)

Offline casminkey

• View Profile
Question about adding new drive and spanning data
« on: October 23, 2015, 06:14:59 pm »
Hoping someone can help me out. I think it's a rather dumb question and couldn't find it in the Wiki section....

I currently have 1 DRU and 1 PPU, very basic setup, both 2TB drives. I'm very low on disk space (1.5GB free) so I added another 2TB drive for a 2nd DRU.

Question is, when I do so, is there a way to span the data across both drives instead of having all the old data on 1 drive, and any new data essentially on the new drive? I do have the storage pool merge mode set to 'Auto-Space-Priority', but I'm guessing that's only for when I add new data to the pool, not anything existing.

Or should I just delete the Flexraid config and manually spread the data across the drives and re-create the config? Is it even worth it to do so?  Meaning, do I get any increase in performance having data spread across both drives?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Question about adding new drive and spanning data
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 06:55:27 pm »
Move the data across manually. Take the opportunity to arrange the data the way you want. Remember to rebuild the parity.