Poll

Is Transparent RAID performance better on Linux versus Windows

Yes
No
Haven't noticed

Author Topic: Linux performance versus Windows  (Read 1707 times)

Offline roirraWedorehT

• View Profile
Linux performance versus Windows
« on: November 03, 2015, 11:53:19 am »
Hello!  I'm going to try a more serious attempt at switching from Windows to Linux on my home server.  For anyone who's actually tried Transparent RAID on both, have you noticed any difference in performance on the same hardware?  I already license Transparent RAID and have been using it on Windows since it was Beta.

Thanks!

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Linux performance versus Windows
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 12:32:22 pm »
In the grand scheme of things, I would say the performance difference is marginal. Any difference can be influenced by driver implementation differences as well as other things such as program installed (anti-virus and other programs creating a load or potentially filtering file access).

That said, Linux has always been snappier for me when it comes to FlexRAID (whether tRAID or RAID-F).
I don't provide specific numbers because of what I stated above. On my Linux boxes, there is no anti-virus and no convoluted layer of file system filter drivers at play. Additionally, I tend to have less programs installed on Linux than I do on Windows.

I'd say always focus on the OS you are more comfortable with. Being able to properly configure the system and manage it is far more important than trying to squeeze the last once of performance.

Things you can do to improve performance:
1. Create a dedicated NAS box (keep your desktop separate from your NAS)
2. In tRAID, use a fast SSD as landing disk
3. In RAID-F, avoid installing programs that install file system filter drivers. The exception is the anti-virus. Nonetheless, configure the AV to ignore FlexRAID activities.

Offline roirraWedorehT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 12:39:40 pm »
Thank you!  Definitely not looking for numbers, just general impression so your comments are just what I was looking for.  Not looking to micro-manage either, I prefer to keep things as simple as I can stand.

For other reasons, I'm already looking to transition my regular desktop to Linux anyway.  I'm going to tackle that first and make sure I can get it to do what I want and then tackle it on the server.  With the 21-day Linux trial if necessary.  I'm always comfortable with going back if necessary so if I find my head underwater again it's no big deal.  :)

I guess you could say, I'm getting less and less comfortable with Windows.  That, and my being a fan of Android has tempted me from time to time to try Linux again.

Thanks again!

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 03:31:11 pm »
As far as FlexRAID, only use the trial for testing and experimentation. You can self-extend your trials through the consumer portal as needed too.
There is no going back once you activate the license as it is platform specific.

I think you should tackle the NAS part first before you move your desktop over to Linux. A Linux NAS has simpler requirements. If you run the NAS headless, then there are even less things to worry about. More importantly though, you want your data and storage stable somewhere while you experiment with the desktop part.

Offline roirraWedorehT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 03:55:37 pm »
As far as FlexRAID, only use the trial for testing and experimentation. You can self-extend your trials through the consumer portal as needed too.

Right, of course.

There is no going back once you activate the license as it is platform specific.

I just meant "going back" during the trial.

So I can't change the Windows unlimited license I already have into a Linux unlimited license?  If not this is moot since I can't justify spending the extra money to buy it separately for Linux.

I think you should tackle the NAS part first before you move your desktop over to Linux. A Linux NAS has simpler requirements. If you run the NAS headless, then there are even less things to worry about. More importantly though, you want your data and storage stable somewhere while you experiment with the desktop part.

I already have my storage stable and separate from my desktop, and I'm still gently feeling my way around Linux although my techniness with Android has helped me play with Linux every couple of years a little more comfortably.

Also, my want to move toward Linux is actually a higher priority for my regular desktop versus my Server.  I just figured once I got things comfortably set up on my desktop I would go ahead and migrate my server too.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 04:08:40 pm »
So I can't change the Windows unlimited license I already have into a Linux unlimited license?  If not this is moot since I can't justify spending the extra money to buy it separately for Linux.
Correct. If your license is already activated on Windows, there is no switching to Linux without getting a new license.

Offline roirraWedorehT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 04:16:03 pm »
Guess I'm staying with Windows then!  :)  At least on the server.